PDA

View Full Version : head unit removal

Scanny
28-07-2012, 09:32 PM
i have the gearstick surround removed but the head unit appears to sit slightly over the next part of the fascia and i cant seem to get the head unit out. i have the 2 push in clips but they are not releasing the head unit. i know Jason said there is a nut or bolt holding the head unit at the back but i cant figure out how to access anything without taking the dash apart, which i might do anyway as i want the section above the pedals

andyleaves
28-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I have to do the same thing...
I take the passenger side lower plate of off, the in the footwell then push from behind... it's very tight behind there you will probably find that its not bolted in just a very, very tight fit.

My push clips just pull straight back out... you might even just be able to drop the glove box to get behind...

foxdie
28-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Taking out the head unit is surprisingly simple;

1. Remove the head unit fascia (if applicable), the gearstick surround and then the ash tray
2. Simultaneously pull up and forward at the same time from under the ash tray hole, the centre console will eventually pop out
3. Disconnect the cigarette lighter socket (tab release), both the ash tray bulb and cigarette lighter socket bulb (twist-out)
4. Unplug the 2 connectors and air temp sensor hose from the back of the HVAC (air con) and lift center console away
5. There may be 2x 10mm bolts under the head unit cage at the very back hold the cage in place, remove these
6. Lift the cage up about an inch and then pull forward to remove, disconnecting the head unit wiring as you go
7. Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal ;)

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Scanny
28-07-2012, 10:01 PM
i dont even want the head unit. the disc changer doesnt work so its really just a radio now. all i want is the fascia which is much tidier than the one in the VR4. the only problem is that the VR4 has an AFR in place of the sunglasses holder and the turbo timer/boost gauge where the ashtry was. i dont want 2 big holes there so i need to have them relocated or hidden away since i dont use them

Scanny
18-08-2012, 03:36 PM
i have managed to pop the bottom of the fascia out but if i pull at it i will scratch it where the head unit is. that HAS to be removed first but i cant find any way of doing that. it is rock solid as is the cubby hole underneath it. i have managed to feel something holding the cubby hole at both sides by sliding my hand up from the passenger side but i cant access the screw holding it. i dont have any tools that will fit in there

cmproject
18-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Hammer, a crow bar and a blow torch will do the trick:drummer:

Chris.W
18-08-2012, 06:56 PM
The "cubby hole" thingamy above the headunit should be just a push fit. If i remember right it's just some springy serations that hold it in.

Scanny
18-08-2012, 07:32 PM
i can feel a screw head but i cant get a screwdriver to it. i am actually considering having the carbon look stuff off my current fascia and having it done properly in a plain colour.

Scanny
27-11-2012, 04:51 AM
i finally remembered to take a picture to illustrate the problem i have. i dont know if it affects the VR4 as i believe the head unit fills the entire gap rather than a standard size with a storage compartment as found in uk cars but here it is
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x435/RichiesTrucking/242-1.jpg

each side has that little bit of metal sticking out about 3 - 4 mm which the fascia will not slip past without damaging the finish. i have been told that the head unit is screwed to the cradle which is why it wont release and the cradle is attached to some kind of bracket or arm which also holds the storage compartment in place. apparently i have to undo bolts or something to release that bracket to enable it, the storage compartment and the head units cradle to come out in one piece before i can separate the various bits attached to it. the problem is i dont know what this thing looks like or where the bolts might be. it is possible that a VR4 doesnt even have the same set up but as i only had a big hole when i got the car, i can only go with what other have found when they first got their cars

GalantOnly
27-11-2012, 05:33 AM
There's no way this head unit is screwed to the cradle...:|
But take the side panels off on the both side of the center console and you will be able to see what's going on

Scanny
30-11-2012, 07:32 AM
i have both panels off but until a few weeks ago i only had access to the passenger side of the car. i am going to have another look this weekend although i cant fit the fascia until the boost controller is set up unless i can relocate the boost gauge. the SAFC can get hidden away as it will not be used

Wodjno
30-11-2012, 01:24 PM
That picture might as well be a picture of a swamp in outer Mongolia.. Better photography skills needed /pan A better pic would suffice /yes

Scanny
30-11-2012, 01:42 PM
it is bloody cold you know lol

BillHardy
30-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I thought you were a true Scotsman,you should be used to this cold weather,i bet you wear something under your kilt aswell

Scanny
30-11-2012, 11:31 PM
i havent got time to stand around taking clear pictures Bill. i have done 63 hours over 5 nights this week and i only have today off before starting another week. i havent been to bed since i got home after last nights 12 hour shift so i have been up since 2pm yesterday

Nick Mann
01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Either the stereo is slotted into a single din frame as per most cars on the road, OR it is screwed to the cradle behind the dash. I would think it is impossible to secure it both ways, as well as pointless.

So if the radio or its frame are overlapping the dash, then you need to remove the radio from the cradle first, if they are not then remove the dash first. If the dash is not coming off at the top and you can't see that the radio is holding the dash then open the glovebox and push on the back of the air con unit to pop the top of the dash out.

I've got a bit lost with what is going on - hence why I have given two possible solutions.

GalantOnly
01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
If the head unit is screwed to the cradle and at the same time overlapping the dash, this stereo installation was made by David Copperfield

Nick Mann
01-12-2012, 02:28 PM
if the head unit is screwed to the cradle and at the same time overlapping the dash, this stereo installation was made by david copperfield

pmsl!!

elnevio
01-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Pretty much what I said when it was mentioned in the 'srs' thread, although with much better comedy value here. /haz

Scanny
02-12-2012, 01:31 AM
from what i have been told the whole thing comes out in one piece then you unscrew the head unit from the cradle and the cradle from this bracket that holds the cradle and cubby hole. apparently the whole thing comes out of the hole once unscrewed/unbolted from behind the dashboard.

Nick Mann
02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
If the head unit is screwed to the cradle, the cradle needs removing from the car to remove the screws that hold the cradle and head unit together. That will only happen if the dash is clipped off first. If the dash can't be clipped off the head unit, then it can't be screwed to the cradle.

Scanny
16-02-2013, 06:35 PM
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x435/RichiesTrucking/cradle_zps96c145f3.jpg

there is a cradle held on by 2 screws towards the front of the car with cables for the fascia running between the rear of it (front of car) and the back of the head unit. the head unit lifts out of the top of the cradle but is not actually screwed to it. the cubby hole undernear is held in by 2 screws each side

exevoowner
16-02-2013, 10:25 PM
bloody ell rich arent the wheel nuts meant to be on the carnot on the seat lol anyway if you need a cradle i have a couple in the garage

GalantOnly
17-02-2013, 02:08 AM
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x435/RichiesTrucking/cradle_zps96c145f3.jpg
the head unit lifts out of the top of the cradle but is not actually screwed to it.

I told you so.../yes

Scanny
17-02-2013, 02:24 PM
finally got it fitted. nice tidy grey fascia with no holes where the sunglasses holder and ashtry were ripped out to house the AFC and turbo timer/boost guage

Scanny
18-02-2013, 03:46 PM
when i got the car it looked like this
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x435/RichiesTrucking/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/414239_4205233212431_1715242759_o.jpg
now it looks like this
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x435/RichiesTrucking/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/858554_10200757799730676_1396288078_o.jpg
its taken a long time and a lot of swearing but its finally done and i am happy with the results. V6 fascia, steering wheel, seats and door cards with VR4 power and handling. admittedly there was an issue with the SAFC as i wasnt aware that once fitted it is an integrated part of the air flow system so the car didnt run very well after i unplugged it. a bit of messing around in the dark sorted it though and its running sweet again with its tidy interior

elnevio
18-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Good work! Any chance the picture-taking can improve too? :D :coat

Scanny
18-02-2013, 06:50 PM
i would buy a standalone camera if i could stop spending money on the damn car. if it isnt repairs its modifications. i must spend half my income on that thing but she is getting there. that fascia has always annoyed me but its done now. the next bit requires an electrician though. i want the cowling swapped and the alarm light moved to the light that is on the V6 cowling in front of the dials then the rear fog light switch swapped to the V6 2 button item so i can swap the under dash panel. there is a hole where the headlight adjuster is on the V6 and the coin holder doesnt stay in place. cant have that lol

markysparky
18-02-2013, 07:06 PM
i would buy a standalone camera if i could stop spending money on the damn car. if it isnt repairs its modifications. i must spend half my income on that thing but she is getting there. that fascia has always annoyed me but its done now. the next bit requires an electrician though. i want the cowling swapped and the alarm light moved to the light that is on the V6 cowling in front of the dials then the rear fog light switch swapped to the V6 2 button item so i can swap the under dash panel. there is a hole where the headlight adjuster is on the V6 and the coin holder doesnt stay in place. cant have that lol

Scanny do you live down south or are you a northern monkey ? :)

Scanny
18-02-2013, 07:11 PM
sweaty sock /bananaroc

markysparky
18-02-2013, 07:32 PM
sweaty sock /bananaroc

Ack I
I was gonna offer my electrical services but that's a bit of a trek and wee bit of fuel needed to get there in vr4 :)

Scanny
18-02-2013, 07:49 PM
thanks Mark but its nothing urgent or major so i will find someone to do it. probably the rear fog light relocation at the same time. i dont want the car to look imported. better to keep them guessing and think its only a uk V6 until they find out that it isnt

markysparky
18-02-2013, 07:53 PM
thanks Mark but its nothing urgent or major so i will find someone to do it. probably the rear fog light relocation at the same time. i dont want the car to look imported. better to keep them guessing and think its only a uk V6 until they find out that it isnt

Ditto got to lose my rear fog too. Just got to find the enthusiasm one eve to relay up 2 of the brake lights and remove boot lid trim :/