PDA

View Full Version : Downpipes! What's the difference between pre & facelift?

Humpty's Revenge
30-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Now this question has been asked a few times but I can't find the final answer to this.

Is there any difference between pre facelift & facelift downpipes?

I know there is no problems because I have a standard set of downpipes on my red facelift which I took of a pre facelift!

I also have a set of RPW ones which I took of a pre facelift which is now on my facelift mauve one, so what is the difference?

Was this ever resolved?

Gly
30-07-2012, 11:19 AM
its the transfercase housing i believe.

the stock down pipes fit either shape as there smaller,

the problem it with the bigger 3" pipe people are using, if it was mocked up on a PFL and it was right tight to the transfercase,
there isnt enough room to fit around the revised FL transfercase housing?

its either that and/or slight floor plan change. between the pfl and fl

those are the issues i had when i adapted a set of pfl pipes to fit my FL

Humpty's Revenge
30-07-2012, 11:28 AM
its the transfercase housing i believe.

the stock down pipes fit either shape as there smaller,

the problem it with the bigger 3" pipe people are using, if it was mocked up on a PFL and it was right tight to the transfercase,
there isnt enough room to fit around the revised FL transfercase housing?

its either that and/or slight floor plan change. between the pfl and fl

those are the issues i had when i adapted a set of pfl pipes to fit my FL

Cheers dude, so standard will fit either

If the 3" is made for a pre then that will fit the facelift but if they are made to fit the FL then there will be a problem fitting them to a pre?

Ill have to take a look at the transfer boxes when I remove the one out the red one just to see what the difference is!

/thankyou

SEAN-NZ
30-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Cheers dude, so standard will fit either

If the 3" is made for a pre then that will fit the facelift but if they are made to fit the FL then there will be a problem fitting them to a pre?

Ill have to take a look at the transfer boxes when I remove the one out the red one just to see what the difference is!

/thankyou
the other way round, if its tight on pfl wont fit on fl, if made to fit fl itl fit pfl

Nick Mann
30-07-2012, 05:43 PM
That is exactly what I understand it to be. There is a shape change on the transfer casing on later facelifts, earlier facelifts have the same transfer box as the prefacelift. Transfer boxes are all interchangeble as are stock downpipes, but clearances get smaller as everyone else has said above. Thus pfl custom downpipes might not fit fl cars.

Gly
30-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Yep. Made to fit later fl it will fit everything. If its made on a plf there's no guarantee