PDA

View Full Version : Mystery switch

DaveLee71
06-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi all!
Was sat in the vr-4 yesterday eating my dinner when I noticed a switch I hadn't seen before.
It is on the right of the steering wheel, to be more accurate it is just down to the left of the switch panel where the traction control switch is.
It is a small round rocker switch which is currently switched down so you can see a little red dot on the upper part of the switch, didn't want to flick cos I don't know what it does. There are no markings or anything on it.
I have taken a picture but can't get my computer to upload it.
Can anyone put me in the picture!!!!!
Is it safe to touch!!!
Ejector seat maybe for when the mother-in-law is in the front.
Front machine guns for slow moving drivers or annoying pedestrians!!!
Rear oilslick dispenser for tailgators!!!!

Please help!!!!!!

Thanks

Dave

Spirit
06-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Sounds like a rear fog light switch to me

DaveLee71
06-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks!!
I'll try it later, when I can drag the car back out of the wifes clutches!! She just loves driving it!!

Dave

Pescha
07-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Gee nothing wrong with the wife driving it... I own my VR4 (you might have to buy her, her own one!) for the last 2 years, hubby has driven it maybe 3 times in that period and the legnum has travelled nearly 30,000kms (18,600 miles) lol....

hehe!

Pescha

i3ooyah
07-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks!!
I'll try it later, when I can drag the car back out of the wifes clutches!! She just loves driving it!!

Dave

duddeee i let my girl drive it once & now shes hounding me every single day to drive it again, i had to say to her "if you ask me one more time then im never ever gonna let you drive it", but that excuse only lasted 1/2 a day *sigh*

jalford
13-01-2005, 02:55 PM
What did the switch turn out to be for?

I have that switch too and had been reluctant to try it. :undecided

Sulli
13-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Heats the bottom of the front screen when frosty to prevent wipers sticking to windscreen???

jalford
13-01-2005, 03:38 PM
No, I think that's the one that looks like a windscreen with a zig-zag line through. (see here http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1728)

This one isn't with the cluster of switches. It's too the left of those, I think on the panel that goes beneath the steering wheel.

ritch_w
13-01-2005, 04:46 PM
It's too the left of those, I think on the panel that goes beneath the steering wheel.

can you take a piccie??

Polabear
13-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a rear fog light switch to me

Ditto..... ;)

jalford
17-01-2005, 05:43 PM
can you take a piccie??

You can see from this pic that the switch is to the left of the cluster to the right of the steering wheel. On the left side of the picture you can see the heated windscreen button.

adam_shaw
17-01-2005, 05:50 PM
That's what I've seen for the foglight on most non-Ralliart cars.

On mine I got a proper rocker switch in the same area as the Wiper Heater etc. Although they didn't wire up the illumination?

I'm almost certain that's your rear fog lamp. I guess it doesn't work when you turn it on though? Check the earthing of the lamp and the bulb.

A

jalford
17-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Ah. I had only heard about the rocker type switches being fitted for these.

I don't seem to have a rear fog light :eek: at least I don't have one fitted into the bumber or hanging underneath. I will have to check if it looks like there used to be one beneath the bumper.

I was hoping that Dave would have been back with the result of his check as we both bought our cars from Charlesworths.

Legnum Boy
17-01-2005, 07:17 PM
I have both of them switches. :|

Mines definately not a Ralliart Import.

1. is the windscreen wiper de-icer
2. is the Traction Control switch
3. is the Rear Foglight switch
4. is the front foglight switch

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edward.blackburn/sell/switch1.jpg

This must be the old foglight switch, which is not connected to anything now.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edward.blackburn/sell/switch2.jpg

I have the rearlight - fog conversion.
The one advantage to not having an official import.
Those hanging rear fogs look http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/images/smilies/ghey.gif

Spirit
17-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't seem to have a rear fog light :eek: at least I don't have one fitted into the bumber or hanging underneath. I will have to check if it looks like there used to be one beneath the bumper.

You need to get one fitted mate !

wirdy
18-01-2005, 12:09 AM
You need to get one fitted mate !

If you have a Legnum you don't need a separate (ugly) rear foglight. Mine has twin filament bulbs in the tailgate lights that act as fogs. Separate fog light is purely for SVA test - mine was removed straight after & has passed three MOT's since. ;)

jalford
18-01-2005, 07:54 PM
I spoke to the VOSA and they told me that a rear would have been present for both the MOT and the SVA but it may be in the light cluster with twin fillament bulbs and a different reflector.

Will need to do some more investigation. When it stops raining I will check for mounting points under the bumper and try to convince the missus to watch my lights whilst I go through all the combinations.

One thing the VOSA office told me is that the rear foglight switch has to have a warning light to show when the fogs are on. Apparently this is required for the SVA. This switch doesn't look like it would light up. :dozey:

i3ooyah
18-01-2005, 10:15 PM
I HAVE THAT SAME SWITCH

and it turns on the parking sensors

Legnum Boy
18-01-2005, 10:24 PM
LOL.... now its getting confusing.
I have two foglight switches, AND a separate switch for my parking sensors. Can't post piccy now as late for work as is....

I have every switch under the sun on my dash, and half of them don't do anything.....

/ drives down road, with flashing xmas lights on roof of car...... :laugh: :lipsrseal