PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharger differences

Goreden
02-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Excuse me if this sounds a bit thick, but what is the difference between a ceramic turbocharger, and a hybrid turbocharger, and when they say hybrid turbo what does that mean?
Cheers in advance

Gingerfish
02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Not heard of a ceramic turbo. Probably has ceramic internals at a guess, higher heat resistance etc. Hybrid turbos are turbo casings with uprated/stronger/different internals from original spec.
I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me if I'm somewhat off.

Adam.Findlay
03-08-2012, 01:32 AM
alot of the nissans used ceramic turbos. the shaft and turbine wheel of the turbo was made from ceramic materials for its higher heat resistance properties, however the ceramic material cannot handle as much force as steel shafted turbos so the shaft tends to snap at 12psi and above of boost pressure. hybriding the turbos is when the housings are machined to take larger compressor or turbine wheels to make more power out of a stock frame turbo. ie you can make more power withougt having to change any of your exhaust manifolds or turbo casings/cores.
the early rb26's had ceramic t25 turbos and a common mod is to "hybrid/rebuild" the turbos with steel shafts instead of cereamic to run higher levels of boost safely
our stock td03 turbos are steel shaft from factory but i have heard somewhere that someone has hybrid a td03 turbo with a td04 compressor wheel but i dont have and details

Ryan
03-08-2012, 06:10 AM
MR2-GT (SW20) also used ceramic turbos.

Goreden
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
MR2-GT (SW20) also used ceramic turbos.

Thats the reason i ask, i'm looking at getting a mr2 turbo, the one one i'm looking at has a hybrid turbo, i know they done a ceramic turbo version but i've heard story about the ceramic breaking and ending up in the engine, the only downside to getting an mr2 is that the leggie would have to go :-(