PDA

View Full Version : Another question about indicators

Badger_01
11-08-2012, 03:14 AM
Well this was quite interesting. I got two of those SMD LED orange lights for my indicators.

Put them in and they didn't work. So a quick search and I found out that I had to reverse the polarity. Did that and they both worked perfectly with the hazards.

Then I checked them flicking the indicators left and right.

And they went mental haha flashing very quickly like they do when I bulb has gone. After thinking and being very confused I realised that the low voltage that is required for the LED's has caused the quick flashing.

So anyway to make it slow down? Like adding a resistor to each LED or replacing all indicators with LED's?

Nick Mann
11-08-2012, 08:26 AM
I added resistors across the wiring loom when I did it. I think you can buy ballast to do the job too but I don't know where from or how much. A plug in ballast would be a neater solution.

Davezj
11-08-2012, 04:09 PM
I bought some LED headlight bulbs 120 led's per bulb to see what they looked like, they looked great, nice white light, no glare. But the actual light they produced was soo dim I had to put my fog light on just so I could see the road in front.
Standard bulb went straight back in.
But they were only cheap bulbs so I did not expect much. Probably not enough Lux output, might look for some higher rater ones.
Not sure what he indicaters are like for light brightness. Have a check of them from distance in the bright sunshine to ensure they are still visible.
I have noticed that a few factory led indicaters on other makes of cars are not very good in the sun light, when it shines directly on them.

Badger_01
12-08-2012, 11:30 PM
They look bright enough, but was looking at them in the garage lol. Just bought two load resistors so will put them in when they turn up and see what happens.

OrlandonOrtiz
14-08-2012, 01:08 PM
If you buy (expensive) LED bulbs from PIAA, they'll work fine without any resistors.

Badger_01
14-08-2012, 08:46 PM
I got mine off trademe for $16 lol and I got the load resistors for $16 and they work now :P