PDA

View Full Version : Data Logger

Polabear
07-01-2005, 06:27 PM
has anybody been succesful in attaching a data logger to our ecu's and extracting any data.....? Dave...? anybody...?

enigma
07-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Its not OBD11 compliant and is therefore not straighforward! You can go the camp way like Kieran though :rolleyes5 :lipsrseal :$

The only person I know to actually read one is Mitsubishi with a MUT2!

wirdy
07-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Its not OBD11 compliant and is therefore not straighforward! You can go the camp way like Kieran though :rolleyes5 :lipsrseal :$

The only person I know to actually read one is Mitsubishi with a MUT2!

Dave's spot-on.

I tried a mate's reader/laptop and although it gives all the right indications of connecting, etc you're left with a blank screen empty of data.
It's only the US market galants that had to be OBD2 compliant to comply with EPA regs and so that their testing stations can read codes during their version of our 'MOT'.
Guess we're just stuck with counting flashes on the dash! or paying a dealer / independant with a MUT2. :(

matsondawson
08-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Hmm, it should be just serial. So someone needs to chuck a sniffer on the MUT2 and see what it's doing different. So I guess you'll need to find someone with a spare MUT2 to sniff. ahem :)

Maybe since only Mitsi tends to have them you could build the sniffer into your car, take it in for a service, and hope they don't notice.

wirdy
08-01-2005, 12:44 PM
From what I've tried there seems no problem in the laptop or interface actually calling for the data to be streamed, the LED status lights all flash as data passes through, it's the decoding side of things where the problems start - I don't think a sniffer would help with that, would it? What exactly is a sniffer anyway? I'm just assuming it's a box that could be placed inline to record activity on a rs232 link.

Well beyond my capabilities anyway.......

The MUT2 can test loads of stuff on our cars too - pity they fetch £600-£800 whenever I've seen one for sale.

matsondawson
08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Yup a sniffer just sits in between the two bits of hardware recording what they are saying.
There is open source software out there for ODBII and you could probably get the standard (SAE J1978). Watch what the MUTII sends, see if it looks anything like SAE J1978. If it isn't, then I guess it'll be a bit harder. But serial is fairly easy, and I wouldn't expect the codes to be too complex going in and coming out.
If I had a serial connector, MUTII and a sniffer I'm guessing, it would only take me a few days to sort it out.

matsondawson
08-01-2005, 01:50 PM
But really I couldn't be bothered doing it. Get a LinkPlus ECU, I'm sure they'll let you pull any info you want out. And while your at it sell your kidneys.

amsoil
01-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Thought the Link stuff was really cheap for what it is; their back up was really impressive too; I had a chip go down whilst on the dyno in the UK and they simulated the probelm and solved it (during my nightime) ringing me at 4.30AM and had the new chip burnt and on the plane one hour later. FOC too I was am are to this day impressed. I only lost 3 hours dyno time but a bank holiday did help.