PDA

View Full Version : Warning !!! Dangerous Rspec manual boost controllers

jamiep
12-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi all, some people may be aware of this, but I recently bought a Rspec Manual boost controller (which is really just a bleed valve) direct from Rspec on ebay

Still waiting for an explanation from Rspec as why this bleed valve was being marketed as an MBC and why the instructions supplied are wrong.
As I know how to fit a boost controller already I just glanced at the fitting diagram and installed it using the markings on the boost controller (arrow points toward wastegate). Taking the car for a spin i put it on the lowest setting to start and it was spiking wildly and levelling out to 14psi though was having bad fuel cut. So went to have a cup of tea and look at the fitting instructions properly, which is just a crude diagram with no info about the unit. It was then that I noticed that they had included a little sticker which stated arrow points away from wastegate...a complete contradiction to the markings on the unit. Its at this point I realised that to save a bit of money, Rspec had obviously had a faulty batch where the direction of flow arrow had been put on the wrong way so they give you a little sticker to correct their error so they can still sell reject products. This then meant there was no pressure getting to the wastegate actuator to contol the boost (Thank god mitsi put fuel cut on the car as who know what could have happened to my engine/turbos). Now After removing it and installing it as the contradictory sticker stated so that it functions correctly I am still unimpressed. Stock is 8-9 psi. With MBC fitted and with the valve fully closed its at 12-13psi. Piece of junk is now removed and will never be allowed near my car again.

This is a terrible way for a company to behave and should be ashamed of such a poor product that could cause serious damage as it is marketed as, and I quote "suitable for novice or DIY mechanic installation". All I can hope is someone finds this through a search hit to warn them before they blow their engine or their turbo spontaneously combusts.

:ranton: :ranton: :ranton:

Davezj
12-08-2012, 09:41 PM
good bit info about MBC, in a general rule, you get what pay for, you can pay about £60 for a good one.
are you sure you bought it from Rspec as anyone can set themselves up as a known name on ebay it is just a name.
i would have a thought and Rspec MBC would have Rspec written on it somewhere.
you might have unknowing bought a copy.
just a thought.

the MBC in the picture should have a ball and spring in the T piece to regulate the pressure if it is anything like the one i bought, it was rubbish but the one i got was a cheap £15 copy and i trashed it finding out how it was supposed to work and didn't. i found the T piece had excess paint inside the bore of the cylinder that the ball was supposed to move up and down in on top of the spring. after removing the paint that stopped the ball moveing it would have worked ok, but by that point i had already enlarged the small bleed hole in the adjusting bit and it wouldn't work properly after that, but that was my fault.
i tested my MBC before i fitted to my car with my pressure regulator fitted to a commpressor and gauges to monitor the pressures and i was not happy with the result which is why i went digging inside the MBC to find out what was wrong.

John TheAntique
12-08-2012, 09:59 PM
They are not the only ones selling this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-VALVE-KIT-ANY-PETROL-TURBO-CAR-/261005822892?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc528cbac
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-UNIVERSAL-IN-CAR-MANUAL-TURBO-BOOST-CONTROLLER-VALVE-KIT-BN-/360478640936?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53ee338b28

veegeeta
12-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I got one of these did not regulate boost at all just kept hitting 20psi ,when got in contact with company told them it was **** and did not work they sent me 2 more, what am I going to do with this ****.I dont use it, Ive now got a 3port boost solinoid and tune boost through ecu.

jamiep
12-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah the ones on Rspec website are identical. They dont have a ball and spring because they are just a bleed valve that trickle vents pressure constantly as opposed to a true pressure relieve that holds airtight and vents only once a preset pressure is reached (which should be advertised when buying).
My logic in purchasing one of these is all an true MBC is, essentially, nothing more than a pressure relive valve you would find on central heating systems or pnumatic machines in factories which i can buy for around £5. So when i bought this MBC i thought the bulk of the cost was for the tee peice, mounting bracket, pipe and shiny colours etc as the valve itself is worth £5 max.

Davezj
12-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Have you taken it apart, i am sure there will be a ball and spring in the T piece.

i thought the one i bought was just a bleed valve, until i took both sides of the T piece and found the ball and spring.

jamiep
13-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Have you taken it apart, i am sure there will be a ball and spring in the T piece.

i thought the one i bought was just a bleed valve, until i took both sides of the T piece and found the ball and spring.

My apologies, didn't see you say T piece, thought you was talking about the valve body itself.
It has what I thought was a non return valve in the T piece (from applying pressure to the ports before install).

Either way the thing does not control boost accurately no matter how its set up, and the ratchet adjustment is just a grub screw grinding into a metal cylinder with a few knotches cut into it.
It did give significant performance gains but so does sawing through your actuator rods lol. It works but its not a good option.

Save your money and invest elswhere.

lancerevo3
13-08-2012, 01:52 AM
complete and utter junk.
turbo smart boost tee is what you need

wintertidenz
13-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I've tried one of these and they do work OK - however I wrecked mine (whoopsie).

If you really want decent boost and power gains then get a flashable ECU and get it tuned.

jamiep
13-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Just an update but i had a call from Rspec today, he apologied and offered full refund so cant complain. He did say that even fully closed they wil still raise boost above stock levels due to a ball and spring situated in the tee confirming what Davezj said above. Overall not impressed but at least i was offered refund and not blatently ignored like may powersellers on ebay do. May try a more expensive mbc until i can afford an ecu upgrade.

Davezj
13-08-2012, 01:12 PM
glad to hear you got it sorted, well semi sorted.
personally i would go for an EBC you can get a BCU for about £150

I have one of these fitted and it works great, much more than just an EBC
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BCU-Electronic-2-Stage-Boost-Controller-Turbo-Timer-/350475396085?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5199f623f5

elnevio
13-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I cannot recommend this MBC enough: http://www.3barracing.com/product_6.htm

Four years on and still providing smooth, spike-free boost!

I researched it before purchasing, and decided it was the best MBC option for me. And it only required one cut to be made in one pipe. /yes

jamiep
13-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys. Not looked into ebc's to be honest, are they easy to fit and set up.

giblet
26-09-2012, 07:12 PM
glad to hear you got it sorted, well semi sorted.
personally i would go for an EBC you can get a BCU for about £150

I have one of these fitted and it works great, much more than just an EBC
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BCU-Electronic-2-Stage-Boost-Controller-Turbo-Timer-/350475396085?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5199f623f5

That looks good, how hard was it to fit and is it easy to switch between boost levels? Looking for something that would let me run stock boost, and then something a tad higher for when the mood/road conditions allow for a bit more fun

aboo
26-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Just crank the boost up as high as you can get it & leave it there/yes.

There is no need to turn it down cause the only time you will reach its highest point is with your foor blanted to the floor & its not very often you will do that on the roads:)

Nick Mann
26-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Talk to foxdie about switchable maps?

giblet
27-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Just crank the boost up as high as you can get it & leave it there/yes.

There is no need to turn it down cause the only time you will reach its highest point is with your foor blanted to the floor & its not very often you will do that on the roads:)

The boost was already wound up when I picked the car up, explains why it shifts like **** off a shovel. I will however be turning it down tomorrow so I can get used to stock power first.

Talk to foxdie about switchable maps?

I'll be sending him a PM later to discuss mapping. I'm guessing with a proper mapping session along with a FPR it should see better figures than just wacking the boost up? I would look into an exhaust first but the neighbours have a 5 month old baby and I don't want to be waking them up late at night when I start the car up.

disco-ian
07-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I had one of the above mentioned £15 cheap as chips MBC fitted on my Celica GT4. It worked faultlessly. Never had a problem with it. Maybe I was just lucky.

Davezj
08-11-2012, 09:40 PM
That looks good, how hard was it to fit and is it easy to switch between boost levels? Looking for something that would let me run stock boost, and then something a tad higher for when the mood/road conditions allow for a bit more fun

These are very easy to fit and set up.
It has 2 big buttons on the front, one for LO boost and one for HI boost.
Just download the PDF instruction manual for web and take a look.