PDA

View Full Version : Axles

charlie munace
13-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi guys been a long time since I've been here. Just a quick question, I've lunched my third diff in as many years (and I took it easy on this one) due to the regularity of this I'm replacing ayc with an open (str) diff. The problem I've got is I can't get the axles back in the bloody diff now its all bolted up.
The guy from parts place gave me Ec1w axles as the ones from the replacement diff had no abs rings. I've done a bit of research and the ec1w is a 1800 4wd, does this have the same diff and axles as the Str and type V vr4's?
I hope someone can help so I can stop banging my head against the wall
Thanks Charles

Gly
13-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi guys been a long time since I've been here. Just a quick question, I've lunched my third diff in as many years (and I took it easy on this one) due to the regularity of this I'm replacing ayc with an open (str) diff. The problem I've got is I can't get the axles back in the bloody diff now its all bolted up.
The guy from parts place gave me Ec1w axles as the ones from the replacement diff had no abs rings. I've done a bit of research and the ec1w is a 1800 4wd, does this have the same diff and axles as the Str and type V vr4's?
I hope someone can help so I can stop banging my head against the wall
Thanks Charles

yes should be the same fitment,

why didnt the original shafts have ABS rings, 25st/STRs all have ABS,

hell the only non abs equipt 8g cars ive seen are NZ new, all the jap imports ive come accross are abs equipt

charlie munace
14-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Yeah I'm not sure about that I didn't see them, Asked if I could take them and I'd just swap my ones over but for whatever reason he wasn't keen. it's almost like the input shaft is a bit long and striking that bar in centre of the diff but I must be going wrong somewhere. I'm going to have another crack tonight, I'll try taking ring clip thingy off just to make sure they will go in then probably pull inner c.vs off and put it altogether separately at least that way I'll be able to give it a good knock without stuffing c.vs.
Cheers for the reply pretty much echoes what Pierre said today, not sure why I'm having issues I'm up to fourth diff now so should be easy haha

Cheers Charles

Gly
14-08-2012, 07:56 AM
stange, the only reason you could possibly hit that bar is if you've been given VISCOUS lsd inner cups??
as they are longer than the open/plate lsd ones

charlie munace
14-08-2012, 11:59 AM
All sorted thanks Gly, patience is still a work in process for me, having said that I've never had any problems in the past but anyhow. I ended up tightening little ring clips slightly on the shafts and it worked a treat.
I've done sixty odd k's in it now and so far so good though its a bloody handful on gravel now which should keep me entertained haha.
Thanks again.

Gly
14-08-2012, 11:12 PM
all good, did you do the evo lsd thing or just running open diff?

/duuuhhh.... running open because of that bar in the middle, its not there on lsds

charlie munace
15-08-2012, 11:42 AM
I was thinking of going lsd way but not sure I'm going to hold on to the car for much longer, it's looking pretty rough now and I now only seem to manage 340k to a tank which is getting crazy. Having said that spark plugs must be getting close to replacement. It has been a great car I've done 100k in four years and apart from the diffs for which I have to take responsibility the only other issues have been a broken crank angle sensor and a dud maf unit both easily replaced. And just about every one of those k's has been fairly spirited so I have enjoyed ownership but I should look at getting a ute as my building business picks up.
Thanks again for your help.