PDA

View Full Version : centre console in white leather

MarkSanne
13-08-2012, 01:02 PM
This last saturday I've been busy (again) with the spare centre console parts I've used before to upholster them with (faux) black leather. No blacks this time though. I've gone white! And because previously the spay-on glue partially started letting go at really hot summer days, I've now tried Bison kit. Putting 2 layers of it on both sides (dash parts & the leather) should give it great strength. So hopefully this will stay on better.

The result is quite good, and I'd rate it a 8.5 out of 10. With some minor touch-ups it can be a solid 9 :)

What do you think about it? Remember: the car itself is white too!

Nick Mann
13-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Not my taste, but it looks like a good job. :D

Mark 4
13-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Seconded.

sampsulo
13-08-2012, 05:28 PM
easy job is it? its good

what radio is that?

MarkSanne
13-08-2012, 06:33 PM
It's certainly not easy at all. You need to sand around 1mm from the plastics inner and outer sides and thats not easy. The leather is around 0.7mm and quite strechable. Heat doesn't really work as it's just a plastic looking like leather based on a woven fabric layer. It takes hours and hours to sand everything down and then glueing it on is just as much time consuming. The first try will almost certainly not fit after upholstering. so be prepared for that if your giving it a go yourself. Hardest parts are the vents and the center alarmlights button hole. I choose to use a bit of bondo for the 2din radio hole to make it fit snug without the need for a plastic surround bezel. This makes it possible to fit the radio deeper which I think looks much better. The radio is a JVC kw-nt30. It's an affordable all-in-1 unit with gps, dvd, bluetooth phone and music streaming, iphone support, divx and those pc movie formats, mp3, reverse camera, aux inputs, proper built in amp which is good for front and rear speakers and subwoofer pre out. It should be around 400-450 gbp which is a lot of bang for the buck. And... It has a detachable front!

horndog
13-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Interesting timing, I visited a factory on friday who have just finished a leather dash for a new Bentley 4x4 concept, and did a diablo for an unnamed, infamous Sheffield boxer
( not for the vr4)

Looking good though

hardarse
13-08-2012, 06:52 PM
good effort mate. nice to see someone have a go at something that is different.

miller
14-08-2012, 08:47 AM
I really like that! Think it contrasts brilliantly with the black leather and more so the fact the car is white! /bananaroc

MarkSanne
14-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your comments guys.

Last week my wife drove a new BMW 1-series 'urban'-edition from a collegue which has several white parts in the interiour (and exteriour). It was not my inspiration (I just thought of the white leather that I had laying around in the garage a few weeks back) but I did like it and it somehow re-assured me that it could look good.

Ryan
15-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I kind of like it for the same reasons in Mike's post but think that the contrast could be enhanced slightly by making the glasses case and ashtray front covers black, to match the heating controls, vents and gear selector surround.

scott.mohekey
16-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I kind of like it for the same reasons in Mike's post but think that the contrast could be enhanced slightly by making the glasses case and ashtray front covers black, to match the heating controls, vents and gear selector surround.

Agreed.

Anderz
16-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Nice work Mark