PDA

View Full Version : VR4 + e-Supercharger

Zeke
09-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Who's going to be the first to install a super e-ram and dyno it?
Should increase boost naturally for damn cheap!
For turbo charged vehicles I would imagine the HP gains be much more than that of a N/A

www.electricsupercharger.com (http://www.electricsupercharger.com)

zentac
09-01-2005, 09:10 PM
your having a laugh arnt you, its a bloody 3" PC fan in side a tube, we tested some thing similar on an FTO 4-5 years ago and it actually reduces bph due to the extra restriction of air flow. The engine Actually "sucks" in air quicker than this thing can push it.... Forget it they are a waste of money.

Zeke
09-01-2005, 09:55 PM
your having a laugh arnt you, its a bloody 3" PC fan in side a tube, we tested some thing similar on an FTO 4-5 years ago and it actually reduces bph due to the extra restriction of air flow. The engine Actually "sucks" in air quicker than this thing can push it.... Forget it they are a waste of money.

:rolleyes: yes i am, but at you.
if it's a 3" pc fan in a tube, i wonder how it moves 1000cfm and generates 1 pound of boost by itself.
here's proof of the bloody thing flying: Videos (http://www.electricsupercharger.com/demovideos.shtml)
then you can browse through their dyno sheets and lookup their patent # through delphion

Kieran
09-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm glad someone's kicked off this debate, as I was wondering about it. I know that some of the ebay jobbies are $hite and claim about 5 zillion CFM flow without specifying the pressure, but this claims 3.5lbs at 1000CFM.... Sounds quite powerful to me for a low 1PSI / 1.7 PSI boost?

I must admit that I am tempted to try one in the future when I've got some cash that I can afford to potentially waste!:undecided

Technical opinions please!!

Kenneth
10-01-2005, 12:35 AM
If it can flow 1000CFM at 1psi, then it will work so long as you dont exceed 1000CFM.

My guess is that it's effectiveness is somewhat related to how good your induction system is. If you have a really good induction system with minimal losses and have some form of rammed intake, you probably wont get a big increase, especially at speed.

Also dont forget that this thing turns on at WOT. How often do you drive at WOT? In my VR-4 WOT doesnt last long... I eithier get to the legal speed, pass a slow vehicle, or get to the speed limiter in very short order. Besides, WOT uses a lot of petrol.

90% of the time you arn't using it. depending on how its designed, the losses from having it in your induction path could be reasonably minimal... hard to say for sure.

In a turbo, I can only see it being of use to reduce lag... as soon as boost goes above the maximum able to be produced by the eRam, then it will become ineffective.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it.

Kieran
10-01-2005, 12:37 AM
What's people's opinions for those of use with normally aspirated cars?

Kenneth
10-01-2005, 02:42 AM
What's people's opinions for those of use with normally aspirated cars?

How do you drive, and what do you want to achieve?

How does Hordak handle WOT? If you are already wheelspinning with relitive ease, then adding a few horsepower isn't going to help you off the line any faster... thats if you like to drag between lights.
If you have 4WD, then thats a differnt story.

Taking a look at the dyno sheets on that site, I wouldn't expect the horsepower/torque gains to be that large.

A lot of people look at there upgrades from a price per horsepower perspective, It could be useful to do that to find just how economical it really is.
The MR2 N/A dyno sheet shows just over 3HP and just over 3ft-lbs (max values). Assuming that the cost on the site was in USD, thats approx $100US / HP.

For that sort of money, I would look at head work. If you run premium gas, you may be able to increase the compression ratio, do some valve work etc. I guess it depends on what you can do with the stock ECU also.

I also cant say often enough that eRam is only working at WOT. How often are you flooring it?

enigma
10-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Not convinced at all! Whilst they may provide an extra HP or two when they are running, what about when they are not running? Also being an electrical device it will demand more amps from the electrical system putting a higher demand on the altenator which will steal power from the engine..........There are a few of these devices that may be worth considering, but they are basically a turbo compressor with a BIG motor attached where the turbine was - not a diddy one in a tube :$

Be very cautious!

enigma
10-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Looking at their site they say it has a 791 Watt motor, this is about 1HP! Now to get a 3 HP output from a 1HP input sounds great, but remember this electrical power has to be accounted for somewhere and its transition from mechanical energy to electrical energy is not without loss, I would therefore put the actual gains at marginal at best! I would suspect that the tests were done in lab conditions with the altenator disconnected to negate this drain on the electrical system, and in itself yield a couple of HP.

As I said, be cautious! :rolleyes5

zentac
10-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Heres the one we tested 4 years ago http://www.turbozet.com/

zentac
10-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Oh and the test graph is from a Galant V6 according to thier website
http://www.turbozet.com/m2/m2.htm The FTO`s we tested it on lost about 4-6 bhp.

wirdy
11-01-2005, 12:39 AM
A fool & his money are soon parted :-D