PDA

View Full Version : Something loose inside the exhaust?

OrlandonOrtiz
27-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Hello!

I bought a used VR4 backbox for my N/A V6, but when I shake the exhaust (it's quite heavy, by the way) I can hear something that resembles a "loose nut" banging inside.

I've tried to move it into many different positions so whatever is loose would drop through the front or back pipes, but no go -- whatever is inside is still there.

The backbox is in quite good shape, and I really want to use it. But before fitting, I suppose it's best to find out where is this noise coming from.

So my question is: is it ok to grab a water hose and "fill" the backbox with water, so whatever is inside should hopefully "drain" out? Or is this going to damage it in any way?

Cheers

andyleaves
27-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Dumb question, have you tried to shake it out?
This really is a new one on me...

It's probably just a lose nut or smothing from the packaging...

OrlandonOrtiz
27-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Dumb question, have you tried to shake it out?
This really is a new one on me...

It's probably just a lose nut or smothing from the packaging...

I did, but it just bangs around and won't drop out from the pipe...

Davezj
27-08-2012, 09:08 PM
A propper muffler back box has loads of gas ways inside it constructed using perferated metal baffles with high temp wadding packed in to do the sound absorbtion.

it would be like one of those blind ball in a box puzzles, all in the feel. i have exactly the same issue, i put my spare back box on some shingle and a piece went inside it and it is still rattling round inside now.