PDA

View Full Version : Help Please! info on timing belt needed!!

mattclarke
31-08-2012, 11:29 AM
i have recently purchased a P reg ('96) Legnum VR4, imported in 97.

as a means to an end, i am having the cambelt replaced (it is due anyway with mileage)

my mechanic (who has recently rebuilt my mates Evo 4 engine) ordered a cambelt using the registration plate of the car to do so, received a kit with different tensior and a short belt, as it was intended for a twin cam. my Legum is a quad cam. did he get a Galant cambelt kit and is that the difference between the Legnum VR4 and the Galant VR4??
we are struggling to source a timing belt. the only one that is close (tensioner and long enough belt) is the one for the 3.5 Shogun!!.... has my car had an unregistered engine transplant?! lol!
also struggling to source rocker gasket.
have they changed the engine and somehow put the 2.5 covers back on?? hope not.

need to know asap as the car is in bits at this time! haha! need my baby back on the road!!

many thanks,
matt c

elnevio
31-08-2012, 11:40 AM
If the car is been misregistered on the V5 (as often happens with the VR-4s), then this can happen when using the reg number, I guess.

The Galant and Legnum VR-4s are mechanically interchangeable. The Galant kit provided sounds like one for a N/A V6, like the UK V6s.

Get to Camskill quickly at www.camskill.co.uk and you can order the parts from them.

Cambelt kit is on this page: http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1398p0/Mitsubishi_Galant_Legnum_VR4_EC5W_EC5A_Parts_Tunin g_Spares_and_Accessories_Cambelt-_Cambelts_Pulleys_Tensioners_and_Auxillery_Drive_B elts

Rocker cover gaskets here: http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1399p6900/_MITSUBISHI_LEGNUM_GALANT_VR4_%28EC5W_EC5A%29_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSO RIES_-_Rocker_Cover_Gasket_and_Plug_Seals_Legnum_2_5_V6_ EC5A_and_EC5W

And /Welcome /yes

Humpty's Revenge
31-08-2012, 12:14 PM
i have recently purchased a P reg ('96) Legnum VR4, imported in 97.

as a means to an end, i am having the cambelt replaced (it is due anyway with mileage)

my mechanic (who has recently rebuilt my mates Evo 4 engine) ordered a cambelt using the registration plate of the car to do so, received a kit with different tensior and a short belt, as it was intended for a twin cam. my Legum is a quad cam. did he get a Galant cambelt kit and is that the difference between the Legnum VR4 and the Galant VR4??
we are struggling to source a timing belt. the only one that is close (tensioner and long enough belt) is the one for the 3.5 Shogun!!.... has my car had an unregistered engine transplant?! lol!
also struggling to source rocker gasket.
have they changed the engine and somehow put the 2.5 covers back on?? hope not.

need to know asap as the car is in bits at this time! haha! need my baby back on the road!!

many thanks,
matt c

I've got what you need dude?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?65186-BRAND-NEW-VR4-Serviceable-items-ENGINE-Etc&highlight=engine

mattclarke
31-08-2012, 12:16 PM
thank u very very much for this info and the welcome!
i thought they were all twin turbo!
do i have to re-register it??

regards,
matt

mattclarke
31-08-2012, 12:32 PM
FAO Steve-vr-4ish,

hi, is the cambelt u sell for quad cam then?

thanks

mattclarke
31-08-2012, 12:35 PM
and u are sold out of rocker gaskets and plug seals! :(( lol

Humpty's Revenge
31-08-2012, 12:40 PM
FAO Steve-vr-4ish,

hi, is the cambelt u sell for quad cam then?

thanks

Matt everything I got is for a vr4 engine bud, I bought it last month but changed plans

So what ever you need ask dude as it's all brand new

Davezj
31-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Matt! The 8g vr4 is the only car that uses the 6a13TT engine. Don't use a cam belt from any othe car than the vr4.

Post some pictures up of you engine bay and wecan tell you if you have the correct engine fitted.
Also post up you chassis number to make sure you have not bought a v6 with vr4 badges on.

By the way hello & welcome.

mattclarke
04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
my engine is the 6a13tt, the car must be registered as a different model as that is how the mechanic tried to source parts... i have read the performance stats for the vr4 and my car matches them so it is defo a vr4. i will buy my parts off CamSkill with the links provided by elnevio (above).

i will still post pics, when i go to get money back for parts that are wrong. i will get chassis num so that u can cross reference it.

many many thanks

matt

elnevio
04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Your chassis number will start with EC5W- and have seven digits after that. It is what Mitsubishi use when you're after parts and tell them that it's an import.

xmacax
12-10-2012, 11:09 PM
trade me has a vr4 cambelt kit for $450 quad cam v6

xmacax
12-10-2012, 11:09 PM
e bay or what ever u guys have