PDA

View Full Version : rear washer pump

Scanny
02-09-2012, 09:00 AM
where is the rear washer pump and is it a safe assumption that the V6 one will fit?

wintertidenz
02-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Rear washer pump is attached to the main bottle in front of the driver's side front wheel. ASA says it's the same pump as the front one, and is shared across all the 8G models.

Colin Wiltshire
02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
1 bottle at front for both front and rear windows. For those with a rear washer there will be 2 pumps on the bottle

Nick Mann
02-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Check if the pump is operating by listening for it while a friend flicks the switch. It may be a clogged rear spray, I have seen that a few times...

Scanny
02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
thats exactly what i did Nick but without a friends help. Andy suggested it was the pump as his doesnt work either. the front washers work and the pump is easily loud enough to hear but there is nothing coming out of the rear washer or noise when i try to wash the screen. im assuming it would make the same noise as the other pump

Nick Mann
02-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Yep, you assume right.

elnevio
02-09-2012, 08:07 PM
My rear washer started working again this year (the pump has always been good), but it does have an unfortunate side effect, especially if you have a clean car and are off to a show - under acceleration, it dribbles!!

Scanny
22-10-2012, 08:16 AM
problem. i changed the rear washer pump (part numbers matched) and heard it working before i refilled the bottle. it didnt last long enough to get a drop of water to the rear window. is it worth trying the other pump or is my car likely to kill that one too. they look identical but the part numbers are different between front and rear pumps

Davezj
22-10-2012, 01:55 PM
swap the pipe from the front pump to the rear pump so they are revesed then try to operate them.
operate the front washer switch if water come out of the back then you know the pipe to the back is not blocked.
operate the rear washer switch and if water come out of the front then you know the rear pump is ok. If no water comes out then you know either the pump or the switch or wiring is faulty

then put the pipes back to the correct orientation and swap the electical connections to the pumps,
operate the front washer switch if water come out of the back then you know the rear pipe and pump are ok.
operate the rear washer switch if water come out of the front then you know the front pipe and pump are ok. if no water comes out you know the rear switch or wiring is faulty.

then disconnect the rear switch and test that, if it works the there is a wiring issue.

Scanny
22-10-2012, 05:11 PM
the motor stopped working. i heard it before i refilled the bottle but when i actually tried to use it there was nothing again. the motor failed, not the pipes

Davezj
23-10-2012, 01:35 PM
i very much doubt you will hear the pump once the washer bottle is full, the noise will change completely. It will get much quiter if not silent.

you may have an air lock in the pipewirk, which another good reason swapping pipes and pumps to verify this fact.

if you don't want to do the diagnostic work then that is up to you. you might end up replacing the pump again and finding nothing chnages.
you should have a spare pump in the V6. front and back ar the same.