PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumption

nick-f1
10-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Guys, having recently fitted an MBC (manual boost controller) and upped the boost to 12psi peak, I have found this very effective. It gives me boost earlier down the rev range and more grunt ( obviously), and I can control boost quite effectively with my right foot . After initial testing on the first tank of fuel- which disappeared even more alarmingly quickly, my mpg does not seem to have decreased significantly during normal driving.
So I am asking those who have upped their boost whether their mpg has suffered much? Just curious really. :rolleyes5 as these cars seem to suffer from over-fuelling anyway.

Regards

Nick.

PS: Also a big thank you to Nige (Wirdy) for his help and sharing his experience. :-b

Legnum Boy
10-01-2005, 05:40 PM
No noticeable difference running @ 14 psi/ 0.9 Bar.
I was under the impression that the fuel maps dont change from 0.3 Bar upwards, and from that point its providing the max amount of fuel possible anyway??
I have probably only just corrected the fact that they overfuel slightly as standard, with the possibility that I am running on the edge of lean... :$

Not had a RR session to confirm anything though.

Polabear
10-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Have noticed Nick that when I start to give it to it in a big way, the fuel guage does go south even quicker...:Cry1: which makes sense really...more boost = more air = more fuel used for more speed required.... :-D was running at 1bar.. not any more....... :sad3:

nick-f1
10-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Have noticed Nick that when I start to give it to it in a big way, the fuel guage does go south even quicker...:Cry1: which makes sense really...more boost = more air = more fuel used for more speed required.... :-D was running at 1bar.. not any more....... :sad3:

Yeah i agree ,Apart from yr fuel cut problems Sean any other particular reasons why you reduced boost and what do you run now?

Roadrunner
11-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Fuel consumption didn't change for me with raised boost.

enigma
11-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I have not noticed a huge difference in day to day driving. For the last 3000 miles I have been dumping 1/6 of my fuel down the exhaust pipe and I am still getting 200 miles to a tank! (Although I am unable to go above 4000rpm without my sphincter twitching!)

pezza
11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
So in standard unmodded form (if any exist on here :laugh: ) do these cars run very rich?

Standing behind mine, the fumes from the zorst smell a bit on the rich side.. I cant inhale too much of it b4 it make me cough.. whereas with the V6.. :-b

maybe its the super? :shrug:

Nick how much and what was the manual boost controller like to fit? (I really should not be asking about this :rolleyes: )

Polabear
11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
So in standard unmodded form (if any exist on here :laugh: ) do these cars run very rich?

Standing behind mine, the fumes from the zorst smell a bit on the rich side.. I cant inhale too much of it b4 it make me cough.. whereas with the V6.. :-b

maybe its the super? :shrug:

Nick how much and what was the manual boost controller like to fit? (I really should not be asking about this :rolleyes: )

yes they do run rich Derek, its the way they are setup to run, so don't even think of getting someone to tinker with the mixture settings (even if they could) unless you want to donate another engine to Big Dave and project VX..... :sad3:

Polabear
11-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah i agree ,Apart from yr fuel cut problems Sean any other particular reasons why you reduced boost and what do you run now?

No Nick not really, am down to about .8bar and 40 (%) over standard but still get mild chopping when I kick her hard, am just waiting for a new Walbro 255LPH fuel pump to arrive, general concensus of opinion is that seeing as I have decatted her and with the Superdrager not only is she breathing easier with less back pressure therefore the turbo's are being allowed to spin up faster, but also my std fuel pump is just about on its knees when running increased boost.... :rolleyes5 :sad3:

nick-f1
11-01-2005, 09:42 PM

Hi Pezza

The mbc is really cheap..... about 17 quid with postage and a piece of cake to fit too! A decent boost gauge is essential and was the most expensive bit at £40 ,so add in some rubber tubing and decent clips and yr done.
I obtained all my info from Nige (Wirdy.. Thanks) and the excellent link that explains how MBC's work that I posted in the members section will make evrything very clear. I can send you all the info if you wish and I believe Nige has some under-bonnet pics too.

Nick

pezza
12-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Hi Pezza

The mbc is really cheap..... about 17 quid with postage and a piece of cake to fit too! A decent boost gauge is essential and was the most expensive bit at £40 ,so add in some rubber tubing and decent clips and yr done.
I obtained all my info from Nige (Wirdy.. Thanks) and the excellent link that explains how MBC's work that I posted in the members section will make evrything very clear. I can send you all the info if you wish and I believe Nige has some under-bonnet pics too.

Nick

Hmmm now this sounds mighty interestin :idea:

Thanks Nick, I will check it out :)