PDA

View Full Version : Clamps for tie rod boots/bellows

eyeballprawn
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm about to order some of the genuine tie rod boots/bellows and it appears like I need to order the clamps separately. However in ASA they inner clamps look like cable ties, but when I Google the part number it seems like it's one of the original style metal clamps.

Has anyone ordered these and know for sure which style turns up? The thing that concerns me with the metal ones is that I will need a special tool to fit them, and I don't even know if there's enough room to get in there if I did have the special tool.

peter thomson
03-09-2012, 01:10 PM
They are a pain to fit. I have always used good quality plastic cable ties or stainless ones though no idea where i got them them. As far as I remember they were used in the oil industry

eyeballprawn
03-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Cheers maybe I'll just do that then, perhaps try to find some of the heavy duty cable ties with the metal clips in them. Those genuine clamps are probably designed for installing with the rack out of the car anyway.

Alternatively, I was reading about people using hose clamps. I guess as long as you can get a type that won't chew into the boot when tightened (I imagine most will) then that might be another option.

Davezj
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I second peter comment.
i would go with the heavy duty cable tie, that is what i have always used.

eyeballprawn
03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Reckon the plastic locking clip ones will be ok?

I've actually found the whole stainless ties here too, quite a few places stock parts from this supplier so should be easy to come across.

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=60525&P=68664

elnevio
03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Alternatively, I was reading about people using hose clamps. I guess as long as you can get a type that won't chew into the boot when tightened (I imagine most will) then that might be another option.

I've seen some jubilee clips/worm drive clips where the grooves are shielded from the other side, so wouldn't chew into the boot. Alternatively, you could use a Mikalor style clamp or other band clamp involving tightening with just a bolt. I have used a couple of these when replacing a small coolant hose. Different application I know, but sounds like it would be suitable.

peter thomson
03-09-2012, 01:51 PM
If you can get the stainless ones go with them. That ones in the link are what I had

eyeballprawn
04-09-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm just looking at the Camskill boots, they show parts MB350581 and MB501711.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1402p7129/_MITSUBISHI_LEGNUM_GALANT_VR4_%28EC5W_EC5A%29_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSO RIES_-_Steering_Rack_Gaitors_-_Legnum_2_5_V6_EC5A_and_EC5W

But ASA is telling me the VR4 part number is MR369122.

Have Camskill made a mistake, or are ours the same as what fit on the Lancers? Because this link shows the same numbers and photos.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m8b0s2316p1332/_MITSUBISHI_LANCER_EVOLUTION_%28EVO_5_6_CP9A%29_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSO RIES_-_Steering_Rack_Gaitors_-_Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution_5_6_CP9A

It would make it a lot easier as I can just go down the street and get Lancer ones from anywhere.

WOODY72
04-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Cable ties will suffice, easy to put on and get off, and plentiful every where. Garages use them all the time.

peter thomson
04-09-2012, 08:19 AM
The number thay have listed is correct for my VR4 but as yours is a later one the part number changed. I expect they are pretty well universal but go with the evo just in case. Though we have used the early boots on Keith's facelift

eyeballprawn
05-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Are the pre-facelift and facelift boots identical? I see they are different part numbers in ASA, there is no mention that the FL one is a replacement part at all. Indicating they might be a different size or construction?

peter thomson
05-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Are the pre-facelift and facelift boots identical? I see they are different part numbers in ASA, there is no mention that the FL one is a replacement part at all. Indicating they might be a different size or construction?

I've used the pre face on a facelift as well

eyeballprawn
05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok cheers. Racks and tie rods are identical so it's got me stumped what the difference is between the two then. Usually ASA tells you if it's simply a replacement part number.

eyeballprawn
23-01-2013, 12:42 AM
I ended up ordering MB501711 which ASA specifies for a PFL, and MR369122 which is for a FL.

There was a noticable difference between them as can be seen in the photo below and the FL boot is is not simply an updated part number.

MB501711 (PFL) - 185mm
MR369122 (FL) - 205mm

How can this be the case when both series use the same tie rods? Is the end of the rack different where the boot fits, does anybody have a photo of the steering racks for comparison?

There is only one part number for the rack for both series, same with the bushing, so it appears they are both identical.

I would have thought if the FL was designed to use the longer boot the shorter PFL boot may tear or at least pop off when you turned the steering full lock.

scott.mohekey
23-01-2013, 02:11 AM
I suspect the shorter pfl ones were maybe prone to breaking at full lock, so they supplied longer ones with the fl?

Also, the OEM clips need a special tool to tighten, so the stainless clips, or zip ties are far easier to work with.

eyeballprawn
23-01-2013, 02:28 AM
Yes, FL are longer. I just counted the ribs and they both have 13 and they both have the same diameter at the rack.

Both boots also compress up to be identical in size, the PFL will stretch out to about 25cm, while the FL will stretch to around 29cm.

So I would think there is no problem to run a FL boot on a PFL and it will allow you some breathing room at full lock.

wintertidenz
23-01-2013, 04:20 AM
If it was a part made to address an issue, wouldn't they add it as a superseded part in ASA to the PFLs?

Also - look in Bunnings over there in Aus at the clamps they use for plumbing. The ones in Bunnings over here don't bite into the rubber, and are about $2-3 a piece, so are really cheap.

eyeballprawn
23-01-2013, 04:33 AM
You would expect so, hence the confusion.

Cheers.