PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Oil???

Sulli
10-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I changed my oil yesterday, with a moderately cheap 10w40 semi-synth, just cause it needed oil, was a bit low, and it'll only be in for a couple of weeks.

Now I have been in touch with Opie oils (www.opieoils.co.uk) who post a lot on Scoobynet, and seem pretty switched on as to what oil suits what car. They have recommended Silkolene pro S 5w-40. Does this sound about right?

Also, they couldn't recommend a gearbox oil as they said Mitsubishi withold the spec of the oil used, so they couldn't find an alternative. Any ideas on this?

Saying that, I booked into my local Mitsi dealers for an AYC a ATF fluid change, and they said the ATF fluid would be about £5 per litre (8-9 ish litres).

nick-f1
10-01-2005, 10:31 PM
I use halfrauds 5w40 fully synthetic oil and change it at about 4 thou intervals. They have it on special offer at the moment £17.99 for 5lts........ I intend to do mine this weekend as getting a bit of tappet noise again sometimes when cold, I usually put a tin of wynns engine flush in engine and run until hot then drain and renew oil and filter and its as quiet as a mouse again.

Not too sure on yr comments on silkolene oils tho'....... that used to be reclaimed oil a few years back , might be different nowadays. My best mate used to work for a motor factors and he said even the reps wouldn't use it. :rolleyes5

Sulli
10-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Silkolene Pro S, and Motul 300V are apparently two of the best oils available, being high in ester content (the stuff that provides a microfilm sort of coating to the metal surfaces, even when cold).

I always used to use Castrol RS10w60 on my Scooby, but I think that may be too thick for the VR4, and it's apparently not as good as Silkolene Pro S or Motul.

You get what you pay for I suppose - and there are plenty of f/synth oils that are fairly cheap, but they are apparently not as good. Saying that - if you change every 4k miles, you will not go far wrong.

Anyway - is 5w-40 the recommended grade for these engines?

KiwiTT
11-01-2005, 12:03 AM
I changed my oil yesterday, with a moderately cheap 10w40 semi-synth, just cause it needed oil, was a bit low, and it'll only be in for a couple of weeks. ...

Use only Fully Synthetic, and remember to change it every 3,000 miles (5,000 km); it is used for colling the turbo hence the frequency and the quality. I am not sure as to viscosity

Kyoshu
11-01-2005, 03:28 AM
My car seems happy with Mobil 1 5w-50.

But it isn't cheap. :(

Physician
11-01-2005, 04:42 AM
I'm the same as Nick-f1 ...... I use Halfords 5W 40 fully synthetic. Excellent spec and a good price WHEN on offer.

They often have it on special offer - I presently have 5 x 5 litre bottles in my garage from the last 'offer'.

I change every 3000 miles.

As far as gearbox oil is concerned I personally let Mitsubishi do it as the Invecs box can be very temperamental and I prefer to let them fu*k it up so that THEY can fit a new box if anything goes wrong. Can't remember if you have auto or manual sulli.

Kenneth
11-01-2005, 09:35 PM
I got some Mobil 1 15w50. its racing motorcycle oil. shoud do the trick. expensive stuff though! good thing my mate works for a motorcycle dealer and saved me $5 per Litre.

Sulli
12-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Got my filter from Mitsubishi, and they recommended, after checking their system, Semi-Synth 10w-40.
What do they know? I am going to use Silkolene Pro-S 5w-40 (ester/pao-which apparently is mucho good!!), and am getting some on a group buy from Scoobynet.
The supplier will do a group buy here if enough interest too.

Roadrunner
25-03-2005, 09:30 AM
I've generally used either 5W30 or 5W40 fully synthetic engine oil in my VR-4 and, before that, in my Legacy RS-B, without any problem.

However, I've just bought another VR-4 (UK Ralliart one) and it came with an official "Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Supplement to Mitsubishi Galant Handbook". In this, it states:

"Do not supply the turbo charged vehicle with 5W-30 engine oil. The viscosity of 5W-30 is too low for the turbo system to lubricate the system and could cause the engine to burn. Use only 10W-30 in Turbo Charged Vehicle."

I'm a little confused now (no change there then ;) ), but that would tend to support the information that Sulli was given (although, I can't trust that 100% when they recommend semi-synthetic :inquisiti ) ...

psbarham
25-03-2005, 09:19 PM
I got some Mobil 1 15w50. its racing motorcycle oil. shoud do the trick. expensive stuff though! good thing my mate works for a motorcycle dealer and saved me $5 per Litre.
Noooooooooo! don't use it unless you want some practice at changing your engine , m/c oil doesn't use any friction reducers that modern car engines are designed to work with the reason being that m/c oil is designed to cool the clutch which also runs in the oil , to compesate for the lack of additives in the oil bike engines run alloy barrels with a coating on them called nickasil (an alloy of nickal and silicone )which just reduces friction , if you put car oil in a m/c engine the clutch will slip like crazy because of the additives . hope this made sense and is of some help to you

Physician
25-03-2005, 10:13 PM
"Do not supply the turbo charged vehicle with 5W-30 engine oil. The viscosity of 5W-30 is too low for the turbo system to lubricate the system and could cause the engine to burn. Use only 10W-30 in Turbo Charged Vehicle."

Oh hell, now I'm worried as well. I use 5W 40.

So, now what? :embarasse

Sulli
25-03-2005, 10:15 PM
5W-40 is fine - depending on the quality of oil. Though if changed often enough, even that's not much of an issue.

wirdy
26-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Oh hell, now I'm worried as well. I use 5W 40.

So, now what? :embarasse

Sounds like a load of bull to me. Up until recently I ran Castrol RS 0W40, have since changed over to Halfords 5W40 (great special offers on this oil).

You can't get any better than a 0 rated cold performance to get the oil around the engine on cold starts then the 40 part is for hot running which is the same as the recommended oil. So 5W40 is just fine IMO.

Try checking the oil on your dipstick after a good run, it's like water anyway when it's hot (and that's 5W40) a 30 weight oil will be even thinner!!

I wouldn't worry.

Zeke
26-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Sounds like a load of bull to me. Up until recently I ran Castrol RS 0W40, have since changed over to Halfords 5W40 (great special offers on this oil).

You can't get any better than a 0 rated cold performance to get the oil around the engine on cold starts then the 40 part is for hot running which is the same as the recommended oil. So 5W40 is just fine IMO.

Try checking the oil on your dipstick after a good run, it's like water anyway when it's hot (and that's 5W40) a 30 weight oil will be even thinner!!

I wouldn't worry.

I've mentioned this before, but... for your weather up in UK, use Mobil1 10W30 for the winter and fall. Use Mobil1 15W50 turbo spec for the summer.
Probably the best possible combination all year-round. This combo is also recommended by most supra owners, 300zx owners and GTO vr4 owners and clubs in US.
Oh, and by your owners manual... :thumbsup: