PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Gear

Wembe
04-09-2012, 05:32 PM
As i was driving back to town from a weekend trip, my gear got stuck on 5rd. i tried to change it manually but it wouldn't change up or down. so i pulled up and switched off. When i started the car, it was ok again and has been since. Was just wondering if i should check on something. It has also been having a rough shift between 2nd and 3rd. Also now that i have thought of it, when i am in auto, it never shifts down to 2nd, always skips from 3rd to 1st while down shifting.

Nick Mann
04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
You mean stuck in 3rd? That is safe mode and is often triggered by the atf overheating. Rough changes can be caused by incorrect or old atf or low level of atf. So I'd say first check your atf for colour and quantity.

Davezj
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Changing down from 3rd to 1st is normal when you come to a stop.

And take nicks advice and check the the ATF.

John TheAntique
04-09-2012, 11:22 PM
If you don't know what the ATF fluid should look like it's not a bad idea to compare it with the AYC fluid in the reservoir in the rear. If you have a good nose, sniff.

Wembe
05-09-2012, 06:12 AM
I will although my AYC doesnt work so am not sure the AYC one will be ok. I should probably just change the ATF. Anyway will check and let you know. Thanx.