PDA

View Full Version : up the boost.

markadam1234
06-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Is there any way to turn the boost up in my legnum without any need for modifacation i bought it the other day and want it to go harder but havent got the money at the moment

elnevio
06-09-2012, 08:45 AM
/yes

In short, fit an MBC (mechanical boost controller, often called a manual boost controller). Alternatively, use an EBC (Electronic Boost Controller) for better control, or depending on which ECU you have, it may be reflashable by someone with the equipment. Any tuning though should be supported by some form of monitoring, as you can induce knock, etc.

Be warned though, while these engines/cars can reliably take increased boost for years, it still increases the risk of failure - the simple physics of the fact you are putting more energy through the system dictates this. With a new car though, I would be looking at making sure it is running right and fully serviced using the correct fluids. VR-4s are expensive to run (though can be cheaper if you are prepared to do a lot of the work yourself - and there are many guides and articles in the members area on here that help with most jobs on the VR-4) so sometimes previous owners may have skimped on service items, such use using semi-synthetic engine oil, or putting Dexron-III ATF in the autobox (DON'T do either of these). Spark plugs are sometimes left in too long, especially the harder-to-do rear ones.

And /Welcome

Any pics of your beastie? /Camera

markadam1234
06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
oh yea thanks for that, this is the mean website so much help. i can upload some pics sometime soon just gotta take them first

BEG4ME
06-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Sorry Nev. Gonna have to disagree with you on the semi-synthetic engine oil. Ran 10-40 semi in mine for a couple of years and it never missed a beat, only got better. Other than that, i agree totally.

elnevio
06-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Have to disagree on the disagreeing!

Mitsi spec a fully-synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30. The turbos chew up the oil, and only high quality fully-synthetic oils resist it. May not have missed a beat, but it will have been causing much greater wear on the lubricated parts. However, it's okay if it was being changed every 1500km, or if the car is unmodified and not pushed hard at all. But then, what's the point?! A semi-synthetic oil will end up like a 60 weight oil after a fairly short time in a VR-4, offering no warm-up protection (as all the long-chain molecules will have been chopped up and the lighter part of the oil burnt off) and making the oil pump work much harder. I'll stick to my guns on this one, and using semi-sythetic is a big fat no! /bat :)

Wodjno
06-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Is there any way to turn the boost up in my legnum without any need for modifacation i bought it the other day and want it to go harder but havent got the money at the moment

Stick a needle in the Red tipped pipe from the boost controller to the inlet elbow :D More holes, more boost /Hmmm

Davezj
06-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Stick a needle in the Red tipped pipe from the boost controller to the inlet elbow :D More holes, more boost /Hmmm

that is one way to do it LOL.
but i have never heard of anyone doing it. when you can get a MBC for £15, admitidly not a very good one but you might be lucky and get one that works well without clean and paint scraping required, but it can be setup to run an increased boost reliably.

i will second nev's comments on the oil fully synth only.

Gowf
06-09-2012, 01:21 PM

Where's the disclaimer???

Wodjno
06-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Where's the disclaimer???

Here "/Hmmm"

Gowf
06-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Here "/Hmmm"

Haha, love it!

Nick Mann
06-09-2012, 04:06 PM
If you are near Birmingham you can PM foxdie and he can reflash your ecu to do what you want.

I'm sure others can too around the country.