PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Wiper "Clack"

I-S
11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
The driver's side windscreen wiper on my car goes "clack" loudly most of the time when it switches direction at the top of its arc. It has always done this ever since I got the car, and has had the blades replaced.

Is the spring tension off? Any remedies?

Kieran
11-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Both my GLS and Hordak do this, though I would not describe the 'clack' as being loud.

Roadrunner
11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
I've just had the wiper linkage replaced after it broke - suddenly though, it wasn't making a noise before ... £80 + fitting + VAT as a guide, if you need this solution.

I-S
11-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Very occasionally it doesn't do it at all. Maybe for 10-15 sweeps, no noise... I'd like that all the time.

It's much louder than other cars I've driven...

ritch_w
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM
could it be the wiper hitting the a- pillar??
my wifes colt did this and it was a simple case of undoing the wiper arm and repositioning it

I-S
11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
That was my immediate thought when I got the car, but it doesn't seem to be. It seems to be when the wiper blade turns over at the change of direction, but far louder than normal...

Nick Mann
11-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Is the arm twisted, so the metal or plastic is hitting the screen at the change of direction?

I-S
11-01-2005, 03:23 PM
That's possible... there are scratches in the screen all parallel to the wiper travel around halfway up the screen. For some weird reason I hadn't connected them with the sound until now. Think you're onto something there.

I-S
12-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I've been looking more closely at this, and there seems to be a lot of play where the blade assembly attaches to the arm. Could this be it?

Nick Mann
12-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Could be. Some movement is good, but too much is bad. You'll have to look at them and judge for yourself, I guess!

Polabear
12-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Also check the dome nuts at the bottom of the arms that lock them to the wiper spindles, if these are loose it will also cause that ....... :sad3:

I-S
15-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Sorted it! If I'd known it was so easy....

It was all down to play in the clip that holds the wiper blade assembly to the arm. The wiper blades were replaced by mitsu at a service soon after I got the car and the noise had continued. However, it seems to be down to poor design in the "valeo" blades that mitsu use (and I think this is what was on the car when I got it too).

Today I changed them for Bosch blades, and these have a very tight clip indeed and lo, the noise is GONE.

Yay.

Dan_G
15-01-2005, 09:47 PM
I have bosch blades....... they clear rain away......

I also like clackers..... they are fun. :-D

I-S
16-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Today's discovery.... the bosch blade does not work for the rear wiper on the estate. The wiper arm needs a special profile blade assembly, otherwise the arm stops the blade pivoting enough to keep in contact with the screen at the top of the arc.