PDA

View Full Version : Better interior rear view mirror?

OrlandonOrtiz
19-09-2012, 03:21 PM
My friends;

Does anyone know of a BETTER replacement interior rear view mirror that will fit our Galants and Legnums? Possibly a Mitsubishi one with auto-dimming? The wiring part should be quite simple (you could splice into the map lights and the auto-dim would work automatically).

Cheers

Scanny
19-09-2012, 06:12 PM
auto-dim? whats that?

Wodjno
19-09-2012, 06:15 PM
auto-dim? whats that?

When it dims, automatically :p

Scanny
19-09-2012, 06:19 PM
what is there to dim? its a piece of glass and there is no lighting and i dont see how illuminating a rear view mirror would be of any benefit anyway. maybe some kind of anti-dazzle but that is not illumination

Humpty's Revenge
19-09-2012, 06:28 PM
what is there to dim? its a piece of glass and there is no lighting and i dont see how illuminating a rear view mirror would be of any benefit anyway. maybe some kind of anti-dazzle but that is not illumination

You've baffled me!!:rolleyes4

Illumination has absolutely nothing to do with lighting up the rear view mirror!/Steeringw

An auto dim mirror requires power so hence splicing in to the power of the map lights, hence the auto dimming part then works when drivers are approaching from behind when there lights are to bright

Hence the rear view mirror dims to stop being dazzled.........:idea2:

Davezj
19-09-2012, 06:29 PM
The power to the map lights is a permanent 12v feed. So be careful you don't connect up to it and flatten the battery.
I fitted a rear view camera mirror and it was a bit of a drain on the battery after a few days of no use.
Plus the screen did not like being powered up permanently.
If you do power it from that light feed then you might have an issue with it setting the alarm off as it will be activated 24/7, if it auto dims due to headlight from passing cars it might set the alarm off, as it works on a current/voltage sensing system, and the mirror will draw current to dim.
You would be advised to use a switched 12v to power it.

Just my thoughts on the instalation.

OrlandonOrtiz
19-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Hum, I currently have no alarm installed.

Scanny
19-09-2012, 06:46 PM
You've baffled me!!:rolleyes4

Illumination has absolutely nothing to do with lighting up the rear view mirror!/Steeringw

An auto dim mirror requires power so hence splicing in to the power of the map lights, hence the auto dimming part then works when drivers are approaching from behind when there lights are to bright

Hence the rear view mirror dims to stop being dazzled.........:idea2:

i have never even heard of this before. i have only ever seen conventional rear view mirrors which have always been good enough for me. if i do get dazzled i tend to go for the more traditional method of moving my head lol

OrlandonOrtiz
19-09-2012, 07:00 PM
i have never even heard of this before. i have only ever seen conventional rear view mirrors which have always been good enough for me. if i do get dazzled i tend to go for the more traditional method of moving my head lol

Whaaat! You don't know what you're missing. Auto-dimming mirrors are great :-)

I love the one on my Ford Fusion sedan.

Davezj
19-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Don't you use the mechanical flick switch that dims your currently fitted mirror. Yes that thing that sticks out the back of the mirror at the bottom is there for a reason.

OrlandonOrtiz
19-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Don't you use the mechanical flick switch that dims your currently fitted mirror. Yes that thing that sticks out the back of the mirror at the bottom is there for a reason.

That thing works, but trust me -- auto-dimming mirrors work much better.

Davezj
19-09-2012, 09:31 PM
That thing works, but trust me -- auto-dimming mirrors work much better.

I know they are, I was replying to scanny (Richie) if you look at he quote I have included in the response.
I agree with you totally Orlando, I used to have a very nice auto dimming mirror in my jeep grand Cherokee.
But now I think I am going to go down the rear view camera route, the only down side with that is the mirror without the camera being on tend to be a bit dark at night time, as if it is dimmed perminently, which is not so good for normal visiblity, but that was my lat rear view camera mirror maybe the next one will be better.
We shall see.

AncientOfMu
19-09-2012, 09:42 PM
My shogun has auto dimming, with a switch to turn it on and off. I presume it just needs a 12V Feed. Any post 2007 Shogun/Pajero should have one, although I don't know if it was only fitted to higher spec models.

If you wanted to stay Mitsubishi :)

Cheers

Don

Scanny
20-09-2012, 08:23 AM

nope! cant be bothered trying to get it back in position again so i just move my head

Kryton
20-09-2012, 08:50 AM
There are plenty of these available in US inc ones with sat nav / reverse cameras etc. Start at about $79 IIRC but the cheap ones tend to vibrate. If you want to retro fit a manufacturer factory fit one, some have a separate sensor mounted in the map light so ensure you get an all in one so it will just be a case of powering it. I personally hate them so always switch them off as soon as I get in the car as cannot see squat at night but thats just my opinion

MarkSanne
20-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Offtopic & for the 6G lovers:
Even back in those days for the JDM markets there was an auto-dimming rear view mirror as an option. Very rare though! A GalantFans clubmember here in Holland has one in his 6G GTi.

horndog
20-09-2012, 10:09 AM
nope! cant be bothered trying to get it back in position again so i just move my head

The whole point of the black tab is to move the mirror without loosing the setting, flick it forward, then when the the lights behind have disapeared then flick the tab back - mirror is exactly where you left it :pimp2:

Scanny
20-09-2012, 10:11 AM
i have a VR4. its easier to move my head for a few seconds and leave the offending driver where i left it lol

elnevio
20-09-2012, 10:34 AM
My rear window is sufficiently tinted that no dimming is required! :sunny:

Unless I am in the Swift, which has neither the tinting nor the pace to deal with offending vehicles in my rear view mirror. In which case I use the tab to get the 50% (or so) brightness level. /yes

OrlandonOrtiz
20-09-2012, 01:06 PM
My shogun has auto dimming, with a switch to turn it on and off. I presume it just needs a 12V Feed. Any post 2007 Shogun/Pajero should have one, although I don't know if it was only fitted to higher spec models.

If you wanted to stay Mitsubishi :)

Cheers

Don

Thanks, Don!

Do you know if the mirror *base* is the same? Or will I have to change the "nub" glued to the windscreen?

Cheers

AncientOfMu
20-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Don!

Do you know if the mirror *base* is the same? Or will I have to change the "nub" glued to the windscreen?

Cheers

Not sure, the Shogun went in for a MAJOR service and going over today so I dont have access to it. Ill check when I get it back. I have a UK V6 sitting on the front lawn that I can compare it to :)

Cheers

Don

OrlandonOrtiz
20-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Not sure, the Shogun went in for a MAJOR service and going over today so I dont have access to it. Ill check when I get it back. I have a UK V6 sitting on the front lawn that I can compare it to :)

Cheers

Don

Wow, that sounds great! :-D

Thanks, Don!

Scanny
23-09-2012, 04:05 PM
is it difficult to change the rear view mirror? i was cleaning my car today and noticed it wobbles. i could swap it from the V6 to resolve this new issue