PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in Cornwall know this legnum?

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 09:59 AM
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4255658.htm

Do any Cornwall members know anything about the Legnum linked above? I've emailed the guy as his number is incomplete, but no reply yet.

It would be massively appreciated if somebody could go check it out. I need to know how it runs, state of underneath for rust, general condition, if belts/major servicing is required etc.

Gingerfish
24-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I had a look at this ad yesturday. It doesn't mention any service history and that's usually a good selling point. I have found that a lot of people tend to sell around the 60k mark as that's the major service point for belts, fluids etc. I bought mine at 65k and it was due for a major service which cost the best part of £800. I think a lot of people find that weighing up the major service cost against the value of the car doesn't seem worth it, although it helps sell.
Obviously without a reply, you won't know for sure.
Hope that helps and good luck on your search.

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I'd already figured it probably needs belts etc, could just do with knowing. I don't really like how it looks but with it being the only one available in the UK ATM and not being able to even get to see the one Tig was selling due to it being bought the day before I could get there I could do with at least considering this one.

exevoowner
24-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Pm imapetrolhead hee lives in cornwall and a good chap meet up with him when iv bein down there do you know what part of cornwall its in as i could get the brother in law to pop round if not to far from st austell

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 01:59 PM
All I know is it's in Cornwall. I can't ring him as he's missed a digit off his number so I'm relying on him emailing back.
Not worth getting a member involved i guess until I can get hold of this guy.

giblet
24-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Good news!

I'm the king of procrastonation so I figured instead of doing my work I would try ringing him by adding 0 to the end of the phone number and working my way up to 9 until I found him. Lucky he picked up on the 0! Seems the owner is actually a member on here and knows his legnums! He is based in St Austell and had just finished typing out an email to you. The car was imported in 2007 by SW Lotus Centre, and the current owner has owned it for 3 years. The cambelts and tensioner and other belts were done by a local garage so its up to date. The wheels were also refurbed so they are in good condition. The car has full coilovers plus a full stainless steel exhaust system and an induction kit.

It needs a fresh MOT but he said he would put it through one, and its taxed till the end of next month.

From my long telephone chat the owner knows his stuff so if I was in your shoes I would be more than happy to make the trip down to St Austell to view it.

Hope this helps!

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Ah thanks for that Gib. I've heard back from him, waiting on another reply now.

giblet
24-09-2012, 02:51 PM
No worries, best of luck with the hunt for the right leggie!

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Here's hoping imapetrolhead is free to view it.

He doesn't know if gearbox/diff fluids have been changed ever, he certainly hasn't had it changed, something that probably needs doing ASAP.

What sort of price am I looking at for the OEM grill, mirrors, a new front splitter and a wind deflector?

giblet
24-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Here's hoping imapetrolhead is free to view it.

He doesn't know if gearbox/diff fluids have been changed ever, he certainly hasn't had it changed, something that probably needs doing ASAP.

What sort of price am I looking at for the OEM grill, mirrors, a new front splitter and a wind deflector?

a pfl grill tends to go for £60-£70, mirrors will probably be around the sane. Not sure on the other two parts.

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I couldn't find a splitter on eBay, but depending which deflector it is there were a couple around £20 on there. Looking at about £200-£250, then touch ups and a few dents pulling out to sort the exterior.

How concerned should I be about the gear/diff oils, change straight away should I buy it? Guessing that's another £100 or so by the time I'm done. Might as well do engine too, so another £50/60.

Scanny
24-09-2012, 04:03 PM
interesting claims on the advert. 300BHP with no list of mods which will gain 24BHP from standard (its a manual)
25MPG?
0 - 60 in 5.2 seconds???

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 04:15 PM
It has a full exhaust and induction kit apparently. Something else I forgot, it's due 4 tyres very soon, with an MOT just around the corner.

chris g
24-09-2012, 05:30 PM
IMO budget for change of induction kit to std airbox with panel filter...

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 06:17 PM
That's the least of my concerns.

chris g
24-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Well I am sure that you will deal with all your concerns...

giblet
24-09-2012, 06:33 PM
That's the least of my concerns.

Out of curiosity what are your concerns? In my opinion you get what you pay for, and at the price for that legnum I would expect to spend some money on getting it just right. After all it is a 16 year old performance car for the price of an average 6-8 year old hatchback.

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Rust is my biggest issue. Then it's mechanicals (AYC and belts), then bodywork.

I can see this one needing some money throwing at it from my phonecall with him.

Nick Mann
24-09-2012, 08:16 PM
IMO if you want an immaculate VR4 you don't want to be looking at stuff that is less than £3k. Immaculate ones are worth a £4 to £5k asking price IMO. If you get a fantastic VR4 for just over £2k you should be very happy as you will have already been very lucky! The price of VR4s fell drastically about 4 years ago but a good one now is worth as much as it was then. Cheap ones are getting cheaper, but I think that is simply because more are being broken so spares are getting cheaper so the value of a car to break for spares is less!

I think the mirrors look like Ganadors, so you could well find someone who is willing to pay you to swap for standard ones. The tow cover could be got from Mitsubishi in the right colour for less than £50 a few years ago, but I have no idea on availability now. 2nd hand will be less than that. I have a set of wind deflectors in my garage, but unfortunately they aren't mine to sell!

Have you checked out the running costs page? If a £200 service worries you, then don't buy a VR4!!
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?55354-CVR4-Calculator-Running-Costs-Discussion

Gaz.
24-09-2012, 08:37 PM
No, a £200 service doesn't worry me, I've just owned an RX7 for christ sake lol. Running & servicing costs are not the problem. It's history of the car I'm concerned about.

Chucking a load of money straight from the word go because it hasn't been serviced does, especially regarding the transmission. If I buy one that's not had that looked after and it fails, that's it, all my money is down the spout. I'm not going to have the money spare to fix it like I would have in the past due to buying my house. That will mean breaking it, I've been there before and it sucks, I'd prefer to never break a car for spares again.

Yeah those mirrors do look like Ganadors, know full well I can get decent money for those.

TBH the car I really wanted sold just before I joined up. The black manual from Liverpool. That would have been spot on.

TAR
24-09-2012, 09:08 PM
To be honest, I don't think you will ever find a car that needs nothing doing to it.

These cars require regular maintenance and can sometimes be expensive on parts. I think that whatever car you buy you should be looking to do oils as a minimum regardless of what the seller states has been done, that way you know for yourself that they are good for a few miles.

Its an old car and you will get old car issues regardess of how well it was looked after in the past.

I understand why you would be reticent to spend your hard earned on a potential lemon, but even a well looked after car can have some nasty surprises lurking just around the corner. That seems to be the way with VR4's.

:happy:

exevoowner
25-09-2012, 06:10 AM
I have spate mirrors in the garage lol and as for throwin money at a car well if its 16 years old then what do u want i had to with mine drove back from bishop storford and gearbox seal went 500 pound later and never misses a beat lol think i have a grill too

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 08:53 AM
For the umpteenth time, I want one you can see has been looked after properly. Pretty bored of going round in circles with this conversation now.

This needs work. A big service, and by the sounds of it a good whack of bodywork, possibly even a respray. The seller was very honest and said a few times it's nowhere near perfect.

I'm sick of buying cars that need money throwing at them from the word go. This time I want to buy something I can enjoy. Servicing is fine, big repair bills from the offset aren't.

Humpty's Revenge
25-09-2012, 09:18 AM
For the umpteenth time, I want one you can see has been looked after properly. Pretty bored of going round in circles with this conversation now.

This needs work. A big service, and by the sounds of it a good whack of bodywork, possibly even a respray. The seller was very honest and said a few times it's nowhere near perfect.

I'm sick of buying cars that need money throwing at them from the word go. This time I want to buy something I can enjoy. Servicing is fine, big repair bills from the offset aren't.

Gaz you are in every right to hang out for what you want bud!

There is always one out there for you it just takes time

Stay with what you want & your requirements & it will turn up as they do!

I looked in to importing one but with the way the market is now especially the yen is just so strong it's not worth the costs all round at the moment

All I got to say is good luck buddy on your hunt & stick to your guns!!

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah I had considered importing but nobody really wants to know for that very reason.

Gingerfish
25-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I understand your predicament. I bought mine fairly cheaply and was worried about having to throw money at it, but, a couple of grand later it turned out to be a fantastic car. I have personally found that even if you buy at the cheaper end of the market (mine was and it was "tatty" and unloved) with the extra money you've got left over that you would have spent on an exellent example it can become a great, reliable and custom modified car. These cars tend to respond extremely well to a bit of tlc, plus there's the "I did that" pride factor.

I do agree with Steve, but there are bargains to be had that turn out to be fantastic cars with a small amount of love. By all means, 'stick to your guns', but at the same time keep your options open as very specific requirements on Legnums can be few and far between.
I know that everything I have said in your thread so far may not all be what you were wanting to hear, but I've always found that a bit of patience and open-mindedness usually pays off when looking for the ideal car.

I always found the search to be half the fun.
I hope you find what you are after and good luck with your search.

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I've said time and time again I don't mind doing little bits.

This needs a damn good service, new tyres, tax & MOT (which could or couldn't be a can of worms), bodywork sorting (potentially a respray as he says it's fading), plus whatever else. All this is starting to go beyond needing little bits, and frankly from my past cars it's become boring tidying up a car, then selling it for a massive loss.

Call me fussy or whatever, but past experience is leading me this way. It's as simple as that.

Gingerfish
25-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Fair enough. I would be a lot happier with a well looked after car that has the wrong transmission, than an unloved one with it (in this instance).

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah well I'm not compromising there so the search continues.

horndog
25-09-2012, 04:51 PM
If you can wait, then stick out for what you want, otherwise you may never be happy with a compromise and always think what if.....

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 04:55 PM
It's one of those where it's driving me mad not having anything nice any more, but wanting to get the right thing.

Legnums aren't the only thing I'm looking at now but most stuff is either daft to insure, out of budget or just as hard to find in the first place.

chrisvr4
25-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Not being funny but if you want a high performance car your going to have to folk out the high price to insure it.

3.5 years ago when i was 35 with 2 years no claims i was paying a tad over £1000 to insure my legnum, i didnt mind because of what car it was, and ive always been the same with all the cars i have owned. Same as the running costs, no point moaning how much this is, that is, i knew it wouldn't be cheap, and if it bothered me i would have got myself a cheap..........peugeot etc etc

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Insuring a Legnum is fine. You are just continually reading what you want and twisting it. Do you really think I don't know what stuff costs after owning a 200sx and an RX7?

Nick Mann
25-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I hate it when you beat around the bush, Gaz. ;)

I wish you'd just come out with it and say what you think!! :P /pan

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I know I'm rather blunt and to the point but that's me!

I just want the best condition and best looked after car I can get, so that I don't end up with a massive bill from the start and that's that. I've missed out on 2 that probably fitted the bill, and enquired about another 2 that I don't feel meet that criteria. It's as simple as that and the last time I'm going to say it.

elnevio
25-09-2012, 10:22 PM
... and the last time I'm going to say it.

Are you *sure* about that? /STP :D

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Probably? Maybe?

Unlikely in fairness.

Wobble
25-09-2012, 10:30 PM
so have you tried an auto yet then ? /popcorn

adaxo
25-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I just want the best condition and best looked after car I can get, so that I don't end up with a massive bill from the start and that's that.

So by the sound of this you need to be prepare to pay price tag IMHO around 4 grand. Cheap old performance car ALWAYS is a money pig, there is one factor to consider if you thinking of buying one, how long you want to keep this?? if this will be a year or two then you loosing a lot if more then you become even after taken depreciation in to costs.

BTW good luck with your hunt

Gaz.
25-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I've got £4k anyway, I've mentioned that since day one of being here. It's not like I mind paying that at all, it's just they all seem to have been floating around £2.5-3k ATM.

It'll be kept 2-3 years, unless my money picks up drastically, or I get seriously bored of it. I'm not bothered about depreciation, you can't predict what the market will be like.

adaxo
26-09-2012, 01:15 AM
So you got two options then:

- get a cheap (about 1000-1500) unloved one and for rest of the money do it up in YOUR way and style, things like suspension, wheels, engine overhaul, interior, may bigger tubs ect

- spend 4000 (or more) for a fresh import and believe that all servicing was done according to mitsi schedule and drive for few years without spend much

BTW you seems like a guy whos like messing with a car, so look closely in option one if you have some knowledge how to turn spanners and got some time and space to spare.

Gaz.
26-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Option 1 is less appealing these days, I'm sick of fixing bodges and having cars with crap paintwork.

I wouldn't do much to it anyway, lowered on my wheels I already have, basic tuning, decent brakes, done.

swinks
26-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Just reading this whole thread after lecture of another one in "WTB" area...
It's just pathetic!
Really it is.
Gareth instead of crying, whingeing etc. how difficult it is to find right vr4, just take on a chin that you need to sped min. 4k pounds to get decent one.
No one is selling good example for nuts. Or you are living still in a dream world.
IIRC, Paul (@psbarham) is considering to sell his manual Legnum (facelift). That one is really looked after in very good nick and lots of decent mods. Well, most club members will agree that his Leggy is worth every penny.

Anyway, before you post anything more, please read again what did you posted already ;)

Gaz.
26-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Are you for real? Try reading it back yourself before spouting rubbish like that.

1. I've no problem with spending £4k like I said when I joined up, mentioned in my WTB and have said in here too.
2. I'm not expecting a mint car for sod all. I've not once said that.
3. I can only look at the manual cars that are available, that all happened to be £3k or under. I've already said 2 of the 4 seemed ideal but I missed out on them, the other 2 don't.

So there, I must be some pathetic ****ing whinger clearly. I give up with this going round in circles game on here. Any more for a pop? How about some more people telling me to just buy an Auto whilst we're at it?

Gingerfish
26-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Ok chaps, lets's take a breath.
I've had a bit of a look round to help in your search Gaz. Any advise is probably a little mis-placed.
As far as I'm aware, the criteria is currently; good clean example, manual and a good history.
Can't seem to find anything at the moment, but I'll continue looking and if anything crops up you'll be the first to know (if you havn't found it already).
Hope that helps and the hunt continues...

swinks
26-09-2012, 11:09 AM
3. I can only look at the manual cars that are available, that all happened to be £3k or under. I've already said 2 of the 4 seemed ideal but I missed out on them, the other 2 don't.

Meanwhile I've seen 2 other on ebay for 4k ish with very low mileage, fresh imports. Both gone already. One been bought early September by my mate from Poland, absolutely rust free, very clean with 45k miles on the clock.

Gaz.
26-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I've been trawling eBay for a month so not sure how those slipped through.

exevoowner
26-09-2012, 12:23 PM
what abot funkstars car ?

Gaz.
26-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't want a Galant, they look far better in Legnum shape IMO. Not keen on Silver either, it never looks any different for a clean.

Gingerfish
26-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I prefer the Legnum's too personally. I have mine primarily for practical reasons though (3 messy kids!). From a bias opinion, I like the colour of mine aswell. Don't see many green ones.
The blue Leggy's look good aswell with a few tasteful mods.

horndog
26-09-2012, 12:51 PM
they look far better in legnum shape.

+1 /stp

chris g
26-09-2012, 01:54 PM
We are a sad bunch on her Gaz, too devoted to 8G Galant VR-4 and too eager to persuade prospective owners to join us

Sometimes that means trying to persuade them not to disregard the auto when they are searching for a manual

Quite a number of manual people have ended up with autos and not regretted the choice

If we get to pushy you must ignore us and, as you are doing, continue your search for the right car for you

It is still a problem for VR-4 ownership that most of models around are autos and it can be possible to miss a really good auto and never find that manual of your chosen spec and condition

Keep on searching and hope you are around here for quite a while...

elnevio
26-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Tomasz, I thought your initial response was a little bit over the top, IMO.

BUT, I can understand where you were coming from to a certain extent.

Gaz. I doubt it is in any way intentional, but some of your posts do (to me at least) seem to come across as a little arrogant, almost derogatory, perhaps. This isn't my opinion, as I know what forum posting is like, it's simply more of an observation. And as said, you undoubtedly didn't intend them to be so. The occasional use of a smiley often helps cement a post's intended tone. :thumbsup:

Up to now, you have received nothing but good advice and sound recommendations, even if sometimes the best of intentions are being perceived differently. There's little point in a flame war starting, just because you ignore the, again good, advice to, well, ignore any repeated suggestions that are completely contrary to your wishes. That barely makes sense, I know, and I just wrote it! /dunce

You will have hopefully noticed, especially as I assume you are, or have been, a frequent poster on other internet/car forums, that this is in fact one of the friendliest places on the net. I wouldn't want to let a series of misunderstandings ruin the potential enjoyment of your possible new car and/or continued use of the Club. There are no trolls here (although we mostly miss Kyle :smitten:) and long may it stay that way. :)

One point to note is that as a crowd, we are unable to determine the breadth and depth of a new user's knowledge, just from a few forum posts. You are definitely not a normal new user, as (and no disrespect is intended to 'normal' new users here!) normal new users often appear clueless about VR-4s from the off, with what we consider to be a raft of simple and common questions usually being asked in the first post. Previous VR-4 knowledge gained is sometimes even from hearsay or Subaru forums!! :D

So that's my viewpoint on what is in reality a mountain that has been made out of a molehill. Make of it what you will, and either way I'm sure this will all be tomorrow's fish & chip wrappers! :) /grouphug

Gaz.
26-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Most of my posts are made on the phone, so smilies don't really end up being used!

Arrogant, maybe, massively confident, definitely. I've been told many a time before that my confidence can come across as being cocky. That's how I am, it won't change, so you're either going to love me or hate me. It may seem that I'm ignoring advice, but I'm not ignoring it as such, it's just stuff car enthusiasts like ourselves tend to know, if you know what I mean. Then a load of frustration added on top!

My posting manner stems from years of forum use (before being old enough to drive), some of the forums I use are full of trolls so flippant responses etc tend to be habit.

So erm, yeah, there it is. I am what I am if you like. Anyway, let's find a Legnum before I cave in, rob an old lady for my insurance costs and buy something daft ;)

Nick Mann
26-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Blunt forum posting, with a pinch of opinion thrown in? And from Yorkshire. Are you and Chris G related? :P

peter thomson
27-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Blunt forum posting, with a pinch of opinion thrown in? And from Yorkshire. Are you and Chris G related? :P

Lol that sums it up:)

John TheAntique
27-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Lol that sums it up:)

And now, as he obviously doesn't want the car in Cornwall, maybe this thread could be closed. Please.