PDA

View Full Version : Growl from back end

VR4CANUCK
25-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Back end of the Legnum that is. I get a growl coming from the rear of the car at very low speed,,,most noticeable as you come to a stop with clutch (5-speed) depressed. Seems to go away if wheel is turned either way. Any ideas what it may be? I would guess from driveline but can't be sure. Anyone else experience this?

Cheers and thanks:)

Subaru ETA
25-09-2012, 02:47 AM
Back to basics - when were the driveline oils last changed?

VR4CANUCK
25-09-2012, 02:48 AM
I checked out this thread and it describes my problem to a T. Rumbling is a much better description than growling. So I guess the rear wheel bearings may be the culprit. AYC is working great.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?46206-Runbling-from-rear-end-at-low-speed&highlight=rear+growl

VR4CANUCK
25-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Just got the car so I have no idea on the oils. Have only changed crankcase oil to date.

Nick Mann
25-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd change the rear diff oils just to be sure - the AYC clutch pack fluid is a common cause of grumbling at the back of the car. If you aren't sure what fluid is in there or how old it is then it is well worth doing anyway.

It could well be a bearing but you may need to remove the rear wheel and brake drum to detect any play.

Wodjno
25-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Sounds like Diff to me. Especially as you say it go's away when you turn, as the oil is moved in the diff. Rear wheel bearings i would have thought would stay more constant. Give the diff a good servive with all oils. Not expensive, and certainly cheaper than a new diff /yes

Wodj

Davezj
25-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Firstly i would suggest joining the club for £20, then use the club discount when buying the oils, then it is like getting club membership for free.
win, win ,win situation

VR4CANUCK
26-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Sounds like Diff to me. Especially as you say it go's away when you turn, as the oil is moved in the diff. Rear wheel bearings i would have thought would stay more constant. Give the diff a good servive with all oils. Not expensive, and certainly cheaper than a new diff /yes

Wodj

Thanks everyone. I changed out all the required fluids with Amsoil. The second I drove away with the new oil in the AYC pack....the noise was gone. Oil in the AYC pack and rear diff were in dire need of replacement. The transfer box and manual gearbox oil was like new but still got the change. Funny how the front end was attended to but the back end neglected....lol.
Much appreciated all. Love this forum./Banana

Nick Mann
26-09-2012, 08:20 AM
The AYC fluid in the rear diff needs changing 10 time for every once you do the gearbox/transfer box, according to Mitsubishi UK's service schedule. Well worth keeping an eye on!

Glad it is sorted.