PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp washer system - DIY

swinks
26-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Just been towing with this idea for some time. That's considering that all MOT related regulations slowly getting to a point that headlight washers are "must have" with projector lamps. So, sooner or later I would have to do aftermarket system anyway.

Anyway...
We need 3 basic components for our system:
1. Headlamp washer switch.
I don't like idea of hooking washers to windscreen washers. That's because headlight one are "high pressure" so few washes of windscreen will empty tank quickly. Also love to have some independence in operating washers.
2. High pressure washer pump. Important thing - windscreen washer pumps a low pressure one, hence pretty useless.
3. Headlamp washer jets. Obvious choice would be to adapt Galant n/a jets, but I'd rather to go for more discreet one.

So...
re #1.
After some search I had found that easiest to install and quite nice blending with our vr4 interior are switches from Subaru Impreza (1997-2001):
Power supply +12V (from battery via relay driven by ACC) to "blue" pin/wire.
Signal to headlamp washer pump taken from "black" pin/wire.

re #2.
That wasn't easy to find due to size of vr4 tank outlets. Also bear in mind that we can't swap washer bottle for one from Galant n/a with already installed hi pressure pump due to size and shape. We are stuck with our stock tank.
Anyway I've found that high pressure pump for headlamps from Land Rover Discovery Mk I and II, will do job nicely. Pump (Valeo made) is almost p&p (has to be upside down due to size) but will fit perfectly. Pump code is: AMR3661, new can be purchased here:
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=81818
But used one cost in range from 10 to 16 GBP.
Positive pin: +12V signal from switch
Negative pin: ground

re #3.
There are many different types of headlamp washer jets. Each require different amount of effort and money to fit into our front bumper. After some thoughts I decided to adopt possible cheap and not sophisticated system.
Again, I've found that Land Rover one are quite easy to install and quite discreet.
Also from mentioned website:
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=washer%20jet&xPriceFrom=0&xPriceTo=0&xSort=0&xPage=3
Part numbers are: DNJ000081 (RH) and DNJ000091 (LH)

Over all, once we get all parts we can simply wire the together (pretty straight forward). I rather recommend to use power source directly from battery via relay operated by ACC..
Also water hoses has to be strong one, beware that pump is pushing up to 45psi pressure!

Badger_01
26-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Ooooh interesting, will be cool to see this all set up

BraindG
26-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Good work Tomasz! - be interested in seeing it up and running.

Davezj
27-09-2012, 01:43 PM
If you are doing it for MOT purposes, as you don't have any issue with you current head light setup.
why not save the hassle and just fit the washer jets in the bumper and run them off the windscreen washers, it doesn't matter if they are under pressurised if you only need to have them for the MOT.
you could even fit an inline tap with them from a fish tank and only turn them on when you go for an MOT.
the only expense would be the jets, and you can pic them up cheaply.

all depends what you want them for passing an MOT of fully functioning.

swinks
27-09-2012, 03:22 PM
all depends what you want them for passing an MOT of fully functioning.
Doing them for myself, hence fully functioning. :)

jayp
27-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Washer jets for xenon lights aren't required for the MOT. Only if they are fitted they have to work, same for auto leveling systems

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

swinks
27-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Washer jets for xenon lights aren't required for the MOT. Only if they are fitted they have to work, same for auto leveling systems

I know Julian.
But it's in gov recommendation for future change of legislation to follow up EU regulations. Sooner or later it will happen thanks to health&safety terrorists. I hope it will be later, big time.

GT40-Steven
27-09-2012, 07:14 PM
If you need the big ones installed by Mitsu Europe for the Nordic countries There are tones of bolt on kits at Swedish breakers. These work with the windscreen washers but do not wash more then 3-5 seconds. Even though I'd like something a bit more discreet I'm actually thinking about fitting a kit on mine.
Looks like this on the car:
Facelift 57891
PFL 57890 Dunno if the profile on the front facia is the same on the standard Galants and the PFL VR4?

Edit: Tomasz I missed the part about the bottle earlier. Makes making a kit from a Euro Galant pretty useless :(

swinks
27-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't like them Steven. Had them on my vr4 for 3 yrs. Too big. That's why I went for Land Rover ones.

BTW, did you get liners?

jayp
27-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I agree it will become compulsory eventually, but there will have to be a cut off date like there is for having a cat. They are useful in the winter for clearing snow from the lights on the move!

GT40-Steven
27-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Yep Tomasz, they arrived Thursday last week. Just forgot to PM you. I still have to unpack. The box is still in plastic wrap

Are you sure the model of jets you have in your picture can take the pressure. The fitting for the hose does not look too impressive.

swinks
27-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Are you sure the model of jets you have in your picture can take the pressure. The fitting for the hose does not look too impressive.
Yes, pretty sure. That's Land Rover system (pump and jets) and it works. Looks the same fitting to Galant n/a ones.

Kryton
27-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes they can. I have range rover jets on mine with galant washer pump & indicator stalk

GT40-Steven
27-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Kryton is the Galant high pressure pump external or did you manage to fit the washer fluid tank from the Galant as well?

Kryton
27-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I got a bottle from a uk one. I paid for someone else to do it but pretty sure the pump had to be mounted on the outside due to space & a hole was cut. Will double check tomorrow & try & find pictures of juts fitted (opted for ones without the surround as sat almost flush)

Kryton
27-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Picture here somewhere. Sorry it's not linked properly but the signal in this bar is crap!!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63439-What-s-this&highlight=Range+rover+washer+jet

swinks
28-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Chris, I think Steven asked about fitting washer fluid tank and pump. That's tricky part.
Tank reservoir from Galant n/a equipped with headlamp washers simply won't fit. It's bigger and will collide with hardpipe going to IC.
I've found pump which can be easily adopt for second non used slot in stock Galant VR4 tank. Obviously it may cause some problems for Legnum users having separate washer pump for rear screen.

Kryton
28-09-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm sure mine is a Galant n/a pump & bottle but not much of my engine bay is standard so may explain it. I will try to have a look when/if I ever get it back :(

swinks
28-09-2012, 10:32 AM
That one?

Comparison with stock one:

Kryton
28-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I think so. I wouldn't want to put money on it though but can check in a bit

GT40-Steven
28-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Tomasz, Is the one in the middle from a Euro Galant estate? The bottom one looks like it's for a Galant sedan since it has no rear washer pump. This reminds me I have to fix the rear washer pump before winter.....

The Range Rover ones look sooooooooo much better then the "horns" on the Euro Mitsis. I'm sold

Kryton
28-09-2012, 05:56 PM
My bad swinks. Just spoken to mechanic that done them. I bought all the parts from a UK car but the washer bottle was not used. The pump was attached & a hole was drilled with the rubber grommet being tacked to the FMIC pipework to hold it in place if tat makes sense?

swinks
28-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Tomasz, Is the one in the middle from a Euro Galant estate? The bottom one looks like it's for a Galant sedan since it has no rear washer pump. This reminds me I have to fix the rear washer pump before winter.....

Steven, hope it helps :)
There are 4 types of washer bottle:
- small with 1 pump: front windscreen - (Galant n/a saloon/sedan and Galant VR4)
- small with 2 pumps: rear screen, front windscreen - (Galant n/a estate, Legnum VR4)
- big with 2 pumps: front windscreen, headlamps - (Galant n/a saloon/sedan)
- big with 3 pumps: rear screen, front windscreen, headlamps - (Galant n/a estate)
Both "big" and "small" pictured in post above.

GT40-Steven
28-09-2012, 09:28 PM
OK yeah when I look properly I see where the bottle for NA cars is too big.