PDA

View Full Version : help fitting map2ecu

mandalore
04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi all

Was hoping someone could help or point me in the right direction. I have a map2ecu that I'm looking to fit to my galant vr4 and was hoping someone had a guide on how to fit it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Confused
04-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi Dave,

If it didn't come with the manual (as my MAP-ECU didn't), you can get the manual and wiring diagrams from the MAP-ECU website (http://www.mapecu.co.nz/).

Basically, though, you'll want to remove the MAF, and hook up the Air Temperature wires to a new air temperature sensor (hopefully provided in your kit!), find (or add) an appropriate pick-up point on the plenum for the boost/vacuum pipe, and splice into the wiring loom as mentioned in the manual (unless you've managed to also pick up a piggy-back harness), using this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?59222-Definitive-EFI-ECU-Pinout-(KS-Mod-friendly)) to identify the correct wires on the ECU wiring.

Confused
04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I would suggest initially running it in "learning" mode, as described in the manual, and do a variety of different driving for a while, this should hopefully populate as much of the mapping table as possible, before you remove the MAF, and will give you a reasonable baseline to start your tuning from.

roryfromnz
04-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Hey how much dod you manage to pick this ecu up for if you dont mind me asking? Im currently looking at ecu options. cheers

CANDEE
04-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Rory, dont bother with it as we have seen a lot of issues with these over here....

I know the MAP3 ECU is now out, but unsure of how good it is...

My suggestion would be to find a 7202/7203 or even if you have a manual go to a link or something similar..

roryfromnz
04-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks Candee, i have just this minute purchased a full twin td04 bolt up kit off a guy on trademe. Looks like quite an upgrade so will be on the look out for an eco to replace the mines ecu and bigger injectors by the looks! dont want to loose reliabillity tho. Perhaps a link or what about the greddy emanage? Sorry for the thread hijack David!

mandalore
04-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Hi Confused, thanks for the link i'll check this out at the weekend.

roryfromnz - i got it from a member on here, think i paid about £150 but can't be sure exactly as it was a while ago and i got an ayc pump of the same person at the same time.

Ryan
04-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks Candee, i have just this minute purchased a full twin td04 bolt up kit off a guy on trademe. Looks like quite an upgrade so will be on the look out for an eco to replace the mines ecu and bigger injectors by the looks! dont want to loose reliabillity tho. Perhaps a link or what about the greddy emanage? Sorry for the thread hijack David!

Really? Would you mind sharing the auction link so we can have a look?

roryfromnz
04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Yea sure, apparntly they are GTO turbos been fabricated to fit this engine. They have come off a wreak VR4 a couple of years back. I got them for a steal! $400.. and turbos are in mint condition. :-D
auction number 519099959

CANDEE
04-10-2012, 11:34 PM
I would go with the Link or something similar as it gives you full control... An Emanage is still a piggyback so still prone to weird issues, though not as much as the Map2..

I know its not a VR4, but a friend down here had MAP2 ECU on his turbo Torneo SIR-T and had no end of issues when the car hit boost, and which apparently "could" be fixed with at least 1 one day on the dyno but with no guarantees..

I also know that Mike on here had issues with his MAP2 forgetting settings that it was given since the last time it was on the dyno when Gary Capper was tuning it.