PDA

View Full Version : front seat srs removal

yodude
11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
hi i hope that i am asking my question in the correct part of the site, i am a relatively new member ,well thats my excuse and i shall stick with that one.

well this is where my problem begins as my 2002 galant v6 sport has the cloth interior and has the srs airbags fitted.

and having purchased an fantastic condition black leather interior that does not have airbags fitted in the front seats, i was i thought left with the task of taking the the cloth of and putting the leather on the relevant seats etc etc.having done this on other models of cars i was not really relishing the job.

but up on finding on this site that some members have used a 20hm 0.6w r20 resistor to make the system believe that the airbags are still in place,well that seems a less time consuming option

really all i need to know is does this actually work???? as it seems like an old thread and there is not much info any where else,just want my mind putting at ease. does any body make these as a plug in kit????

any advice gratefully recieved, thanks yodude

Atik
11-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Dont think there is a 'plug in kit' for this. A lot of people have changed seats and steering wheels with airbag and non-airbag versions and to my knowledge there have been no known issues with any. I think some people have had no problems with the SRS light on the dash either, but others seem to trip it, but apart from one light on the dash, I think it doesnt really cause any further issues.

Confused
11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Apart from now, if you have the SRS light on, it's an MOT failure... and I think the only way to reset the light is a trip to a Mitsubishi dealer (or someone with a MUT-II/III and the appropriate card?)

And you can't just remove the bulb - it should illuminate with the ignition, then go off...

Atik
11-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Apart from now, if you have the SRS light on, it's an MOT failure... and I think the only way to reset the light is a trip to a Mitsubishi dealer (or someone with a MUT-II/III and the appropriate card?)

And you can't just remove the bulb - it should illuminate with the ignition, then go off...

Really? I think my car has an SRS light due to the steering wheel change and I just pulled the bulb. Will have to work this out for 11 months time!

Confused
11-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Was one of the new things introduced towards the beginning of the year.

I guess it depends on how anal your tester is and how recently they've been on their training courses (or read the updates sent out by VOSA)...

It's there in the manual (http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_540.htm)

Reason for rejection:

An airbag obviously missing or defective.

Note: A passenger airbag that has been switched off is not a Reason for Rejection.

A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp:

. inoperative

. indicating a system malfunction.

yodude
11-10-2012, 07:23 PM
hi yea my local mechanic advised that mot is now a bit more strict on srs working properly as in warning bulb lighting up and then going off when it should. so that is why i am wondering if the resistor mentioned in an old thread works. dont want to put one in and pop all airbags go off like 5th november and my ears ringing like a stun grenade has been thrown in the footwell with me lol.

wintertidenz
12-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Remember to disconnect the battery before even touching the airbag system too. It needs to be disconnected for at least 30 seconds before the system can be touched.

I guess another way to do it (but I wouldn't recommend it) is to leave the airbags connected from the old seats if possible and leave them under the new seats.

yodude
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
hi there to all.i emailed one of the members from the original thread.that member being crazydriver81 and he most kindly replied today and said he had used the following on severel mitsy,s with no problems what so ever.

he advised that he had used a 3ohms resistorwith good accuracy {metal film with 1% variation is best}....i can take no credit for this info, my thanks go to crazydriver81...thanks stefan.... diamond geezer