PDA

View Full Version : Creaking whilst steering

Kryton
17-10-2012, 01:55 AM
HELP!!! My car has lasted a week & I've just resorted to parking it up :(

Took it out tonight & after a few miles a creaking noise appeared when steering. After a few more miles it gradually got louder until it became unbearable. I limped it home but thinking its best get it recovered to the garage.

I've done some searching but can't find what it could be as I've already replaced all of the suggested items. The parts I have that have done less than 2000 miles are

Top mounts
Ball joints
Arms
Coilovers
Poly mounts
All belts / fluids (still at correct level)
Bearings

Anyone got any suggestions. Only thing left I can think of is steering rack & that's rare to go on these. Can't think what else could be ok for last couple of hundred miles then deteriorate do quickly over such a short distance.

Let the fun commence (again /pan)

Nick Mann
17-10-2012, 08:11 AM
It is almost always the ball joint on the straight lower arm.
Get your mechanic to check it out?

Kryton
17-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Will do cheers. That's what searches were coming up with but they are both only a few hundred mile old genuine mitsi which is why I'm a bit mythed

swinks
17-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Very often worn drop links will give you exactly the same symptoms like lower straight arms. Vehicle will squeak like an old school wagon with no knocking whatsoever.
Also, tie rod ends worth to check out.
Anyway those 2 I'd check first before think of suspension :)

adaxo
17-10-2012, 08:53 AM
You may not grease poly bushes properly (if any at all) and they squeak

Kryton
17-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks peeps. Whatever it is, i'm not chancing driving it until I know for sure. Will update once i've found out. I really was expecting to get at least a couple of weeks out of it before the next issue. Oh well /haz

Kryton
17-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Conclusion fairly obvious:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?65927-F-O-S-lower-arm

Bit annoyed as it hasn't done hardly any miles since being replaced but its been officially diagnosed I suppose :(

TAR
18-10-2012, 09:31 AM
If I were you I would be knocking on he door of whoever sold you those arms requesting a refund.....were they brand new?

:happy:

Kryton
18-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Yep & tempting but as i'm from Norfolk, its renowned fact that if I drive past Thetford, I will fall off the edge of the Earth :). In the grand scheme of things, considering what I have had to change over the last few months this really isn't the end of the world but just glad it didn't fail.