PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on first few days of ownership

Sulli
13-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Well I got my VR4 last Saturday - had a good long motorway drive back, and have used it daily for work this week.

Initial thoughts (consider I came from a 260 BHP Impreza Turbo), are that the power delivery is so much smoother.
The auto-box is a peach, and only gets better (guess that's it learning my driving style). Kick-down is so much quicker than on any auto i've ever driven, gear-changes are almost unnoticeable, and the tiptronic mode allows me to re-live my manual days :)

I find that i'm much happier just cruising at a sensible speed, only putting my foot down fairly infrequently, as opposed to my Scooby which demanded to be driven like a proper rally slag, all the time. But when I do put my foot down, the power is instantaneous, if not as turbo laggingly, kick in your backish as the Scooby! And it just keeps on coming, and coming, and coming - can almost catch you out as to how you have got to 100 so quickly and smoothly.

I already have shares in Shell, as the old car was pretty thirsty, at around 22mpg. I have a feeling this will be much worse if I drive this like I used to drive that - maybe a reason for my more sedate style now :); else Shell will be looking to build a forecourt outside my house for the honour of being their best customer :laugh:

Overall, I love the smoothness, the stability (though I have had a 4-wheel-slide, 3 bars on AYC moment :D ), build quality, and overall 'Gentleman's Evo'ness of the whole car.

I also like the fact that every chav in his Nova doesn't tailgate me, or rev up next to me at lights (though I must admit I kind of miss wiping the grins of their burberry cap wearing spotty mugs :screwu: ).

No-one seems to know what it is, or what it can do, aside from the odd knowledgeable nod, and look from a fellow petrolhead. Hopefully this means that the ample security I now have on the car will never be needed.

It's a great car - better than I thought it would be, and I just hope the astronomical repair/servicing costs, don't apply to me, and i'm lucky with it. But, whatever, I didn't get it to save money, else i'd have got a diesel.

Stu

Roadrunner
13-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Ah, you're beginning to realise the joys of VR-4 ownership already :) It just gets better from here ... :D

Kieran
13-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Another satisfied customer... Glad that you're enjoying it Stu! :) :-b

KiwiTT
13-01-2005, 09:51 PM
...But, whatever, I didn't get it to save money, else i'd have got a diesel.

You buy a VR-4 with the heart.

Nick Mann
13-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Ahhh.......

Memories.......!!!

And it only gets better! Are you sticking your name down for any events this year? Helps for info and ideas for modding, it's normally fun and sometimes there's general drunken behaviour!

I still remember the first drive in my first VR4. The amazement when booting it at 80-85 and it changed down to third!!! (And then went like stink!)

Not managed 3 lights at any kind of speed. Just scares me! I regularly achieve it in second gear, though.

Hope your ownership continues to be enjoyable!

HJM
13-01-2005, 10:17 PM
But, whatever, I didn't get it to save money

None of us did and we still say the best 20 quid you will spend on it will be to join as a full CVR4 member :-b

Sulli
13-01-2005, 10:20 PM
:topic: Stop going on about it :stop:

KiwiTT
13-01-2005, 10:23 PM
:topic: Stop going on about it :stop:

Not in this forum :D

HJM
13-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Not in this forum :D

:lolz: Cheers, mate :thumb1:

Brunty
13-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Sounds like you're already teaching your INVECSYS to be a Naughty gearbox!!!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Steve