PDA

View Full Version : poly bushes

Scanny
23-10-2012, 07:16 AM
i have acquired a pair of lower straight arms with poly bushes which supposedly will last longer than the car. this being the case, and the bent ones possibly needing replacing or the top arms, is it possible to refurb worn arms with poly bushes or are the arms themselves worn (elongated) beyond extending their use?

bear in mind i have 2 spares, 1 is only a year old and is part of the project currently being undertaken to assemble my FL hub carriers along with all the other bits and pieces to fit the brembos

Nick Mann
23-10-2012, 10:57 AM
The weakness on the lower straight arm is the ball joint. I don't see how polybushes solve the issue with the ball joint?

c0xxy
23-10-2012, 10:59 AM
The bush might out live your car but the balljoint won't.
You could easily swap the bush to the replacement arms if you wanted, the curved arm I've not seen a replacement bush for but you can have them made for anything I would have thought.

Edit: he beat me

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

aboo
23-10-2012, 12:49 PM
The lower arms on your car have only been on your car for just over a year & are genuine ones. No need to put polly ones in till there due for a change.

swinks
23-10-2012, 01:33 PM
he curved arm I've not seen a replacement bush for
There is one... :)

Davezj
23-10-2012, 01:37 PM
yes it is ball joint that will fail before the inner bushing

c0xxy
23-10-2012, 02:04 PM
There is one... :)

where would that be then /Wyhy

Scanny
23-10-2012, 03:59 PM
i have them Andy so they are away being assembled this week to make fitting everything easier on saturday.

the curved arms are not upgradable from a longevity perspective then? whether the bushes are a viable option or not, they dont really help anyway?

what about the top arms? i have something that i think is ready to fail but if i can uprate them i am as well doing so with the spares but only if it will actually make a real difference

adaxo
23-10-2012, 04:06 PM
the curved arms are not upgradable from a longevity perspective then? whether the bushes are a viable option or not, they dont really help anyway?

Outer poly bush on straight arms will help, to fail your shock quicker.

Louis
23-10-2012, 05:12 PM
You can put poly bushes on the inner mounts of the upper A arms and they will last a very long time, and you can get replacable balljoints for the outer upper balljoint. Means you only ever have to change the ball joint, not the full A arm.

Scanny
23-10-2012, 05:53 PM
is it worth doing Louis? at the moment the hub carriers from the V6 are away with the upper A arms, lower straight arms with uprated bushes and lower curved arms which are being fitted with brembos before installation on the VR4 on saturday. this will give me spare parts though so i can play with them without losing my car IF its worth doing

Louis
23-10-2012, 07:03 PM
It means when the upper ball joint wears out (every 12 months if your lowered!), then you don't pay £220 per arm (or whatever they are now?), it only costs you for the ball joint which you can get from £20 each to £80 Each depending on where and what you buy.
At £20 each you can afford to change them once a year to keep things tight.

Scanny
23-10-2012, 07:37 PM
i am currently on bilsteins although the coilies are hopefully going to be rescued. again, 1 is away to be experimented on with some new lubricating oil which is rumoured to be amazing stuff

so it is quite possible that i am putting too much strain on my joints and not just on the cars joints. sounds like it is worth using my spares to uprate and keep swapping them over rather than replace

thanks Louis

swinks
23-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Outer poly bush on straight arms will help, to fail your shock quicker.
It all depends what suspension setup you have. With right spring and damper it's only a good thing. :)

swinks
23-10-2012, 09:46 PM
where would that be then /Wyhy
Here:
http://poliuretany.olkusz.pl/pl/mitsubishi-galant-regeneracja-tulei-wahacza-przedniego-dolnego-wzdluznego-1szt.html