PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulbs

BENGOOD123
24-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi

Some of my headlight bulbs have blown due to my alternator failing.

Which bulbs do I need for headlight full beam, headlight low beam and side lights?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which make of bulbs are better than others? Previously when they were working I always found low beam rather poor.

Many thanks

Ben

LudviG
24-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I have been really happy with Osram Nightbreakers, the lights from them beat most of the halogen bulbs i have tried, but they are pricey and dont last as long as many others with "less" light. I guess lifespan and brightness goes hand in hand.

Phillips extremevision is also very good, and lasts a bit longer i have been told. Never bought them myself though, but guess they are a bit pricey too. But in my opinion good lights are worth a bit extra :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

BEG4ME
25-10-2012, 10:53 AM
H7 = Low beam
H1 = High beam
47233 (Narva Part Number) = Front park lights. http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/instrumentlicence-plate

Atik
25-10-2012, 12:09 PM
I had two sets of Philips Extremes burn out within three months of fitting so not keen on them.
I have Osram bulbs at the moment coupled with the UK glass headlamps so I get very good lighting from them Pleased with the Osrams so far.

Scanny
26-10-2012, 04:07 AM
the side lights are 233s and a pain to fit

im not sure what you are looking for with your lights so i wont recommend what i use as my choice of brand (side, head, main beam and front fogs) is due to the white light with blue reflection in the back of the lens rather than being bright. they look good but they are rubbish in the rain

LudviG
26-10-2012, 06:37 AM
I had two sets of Philips Extremes burn out within three months of fitting so not keen on them.
I have Osram bulbs at the moment coupled with the UK glass headlamps so I get very good lighting from them Pleased with the Osrams so far.

Is that nightbreakers? I use nightbreakers and glass heaflights, and it is a very good combo in all weather.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BENGOOD123
26-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Thanks for all the advice on spec and makes. I'm thinking OSRAMS at the moment and some patience when it comes to fit the bulbs!

Scanny
26-10-2012, 12:50 PM
if you are really struggling to fit the bulbs you can always remove the headlamp unit. its only 4 screws on each one and the only tricky one is in the wing. the rest are easily accessible once you remove the grille. this is why i didnt change the bulbs when i got the VR4. i left them in the V6 headlights and swapped the whole thing over

Davezj
26-10-2012, 01:14 PM
now i know where the little orientation tag should go when fitting the headlight blubs i have never had a problem fitting bulbs.

the orientation tag goes in the 12 o'clock position (Upward) when fitting the H7 and H1 bulbs, just push it in with a wiggle and it will slot into the correct grove and pop the wire spring clip over the back, jopb done.
i do have to confess that before i realised where the tag went i did spend an hour fitting two bulbs, and yes, in the end i did take the headlight unit out to find which was the correct way round.
but since then i have never had a problem fitting bulbs.

Tag Up everyone

BENGOOD123
26-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Cheers for the advice. Appreciated.

Oggie
17-01-2013, 06:45 AM
sorry to bring up this thread again.

whast the highest wattage H7 one can use on the headlights?. also any ideas on the H1's/high beams?

elnevio
17-01-2013, 08:46 AM
They're all designed for 55W bulbs. 100W bulbs are available, but are usually marked as 'not for road use' or 'for rally use only'. I think in the UK they are technically illegal to use on the road, perhaps NZ has something similar. Plus I wouldn't want to chance the possibility of melting part of the headlight housing, wiring or bulb holder.

Nick Mann
17-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I've used a set of 70W (might have been 75W) bulbs. As Nev said, they were sold as "not for road use" but the standard lights are cr@p so I thought I would try them. A couple of years later I had to sort out a bulb holder as it had started to melt. How much of the melting was due to a poor connection and how much was due to the increased current, I can't say. But it has put me off doing it again!

elnevio
17-01-2013, 10:41 AM
I got some of these last year, and have just ordered some more too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280957638123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The light is whiter, and despite being blue glass, the light is not blue-tinged. Although with the lights off, there is a perceptible blue-ness to the light reflectors which looks pretty cool. I'll have to get a picture for you!

Gingerfish
17-01-2013, 10:55 AM
I've been using 100w xenon bulbs since I bought my Legnum and never had a problem.
They give a fantastically bright white light especially on main beam.

They are a bit more unreliable than standard bulbs, as I've replaced 2 bulbs in the time they've been fitted on the car. Having said that, they're only a couple of quid to replace.
They've also passed an mot more than once.

ex-derv
17-01-2013, 01:28 PM
these are superb................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-Nightbreaker-Plus-Car-Headlight-Bulbs-H7-477-x2-Pair-Twin-Pack-FREE-Torch-/330833825556?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d073b8f14

they're brighter than the 100w ones I just took out - so good I got another set for my wife's car.

In fact, if you buy some of these and don't rate them, I'll buy them off you for what you paid for them!

Oggie
17-01-2013, 02:11 PM
thanks lads.. I know I replaced my headlights with 55w bulbs on Wednesday and they are noticeably brighter. I think the previous ones were 35w EEEK!

next time they pop I shall get me a brighter set..

one thing I did notice when I replaced em was. what a ferking pain in the arse it was to put them back in :S

CANDEE
18-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Go have a talk to L J Alexander behind Rutherford & Bond in town about bulbs Terry.

They are a Hella dealer and are very knowledgeable about which bulbs work best where. :)

Oggie
18-01-2013, 08:34 AM
ty young man :)