PDA

View Full Version : Is this a common power steering leak?

eyeballprawn
24-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I have seen this exact same leak on a couple of cars now. It seems to be coming from where the rubber hose attaches to the hard pipe in the pic below. Has anyone else seen this and know what the cause and fix is? Is it a flare fitting there, and does it come loose or something? I'm hoping its an easy fix as it's a bugger to get in there.

adaxo
25-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Yep, see that on few Galants, IMO is caused by worn engine mounts, so engine move all over engine bay an wobbling pipes which cause this joint to leak. Ok is may a bit to scientific:thinking:, but yes this is common place to loosing PS fluid.

eyeballprawn
25-10-2012, 12:32 AM
So is it the rubber hose itself that gets torn around where the fitting it attached to it? If that's the case, then simply replacing that hose should do the trick.

Davezj
25-10-2012, 07:12 AM
My old vr4 had that pipe fail, and it is a right pain to get to the lower connection point to get the spanners on the nuts to undo them.

But my fail was on the pipe not the joint to the hard pipe section. It where the flex pipe gets crimped into the fitting on the end of the pipe. It is a high pressure hose. Rlace the pipe and problem fixed.

Reason for fail could also have something to do with the location of the pipe right next to the rear turbo, heat build up.
I leave the top mounting bolt out so it is not secured so engine movement does not pull the hose around.

eyeballprawn
25-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Great info, thanks guys! Looks like I'll be ordering some new hoses, second hand ones have probably nearly had it too.

exevoowner
25-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Had this happen too i i remember right i had a nww pipe made and replaced it all

eyeballprawn
05-04-2013, 03:10 AM
I sounds like you guys were able to get a spanner onto that lower connector somehow, did you need to remove anything else to get to it? Which way did you attack it from, above or below the car?