PDA

View Full Version : Mitsu Keyless for V6 / VR-4 -- how to install?

OrlandonOrtiz
26-10-2012, 03:23 PM
A friend of mine who is a breaker found in his stock a MR438842 module + key fob from a 2001 Galant V6 (same year and model as mine).

He says my car should be prewired and that this should be a plug and play upgrade.

Does anyone confirm/deny this information? Also, does anyone know WHERE this thing is supposed to go?

Thanks

Davezj
26-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Don't you have keyless entry on you alarm fob, or the original mitsi ignition key.

It just surprised me you don't have one of these options.

OrlandonOrtiz
26-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Don't you have keyless entry on you alarm fob, or the original mitsi ignition key.

It just surprised me you don't have one of these options.

I don't have a fob at all!

I have an original Mitsy key that opens and closes my car.

If I open the driver's side or the passenger's side, it unlocks all four doors. When I close either side, it closes every door as well.

I checked my 2001 VIN number and it seems my car did not come with keyless entry. But checking with a friend's 2004 VIN numer, his did.

Scanny
26-10-2012, 06:06 PM
i have fobs for my 2001 V6 although they are rubbish. the button covers wear and the bit that connects the fob to the keyring is rubber and is easily broken. the one in the pic looks much better

Davezj
26-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Hmmm.
If you are getting the keyless entry box for free it is possibly the best thing to do to get keyless entry.
I would have thought getting an alarm and fitting it yourself would be you next best thing to do, plus it might reduce you insurance a bit. But you might have to have it pro fitted to declare it on the insurance.
You can probably get an alarm for £40-£60 which will have 2 fobs, key less entry, ultrasonic glass break sensors, shock sensor, panic button and alarm.
Just a thought.

Have a search for wiring diagram posted by davecom1 it is the V6 electrical schematic for the car it will tell you where the connector will be for the key less entry box.

Mark 4
26-10-2012, 06:34 PM
i have fobs for my 2001 V6 although they are rubbish. the button covers wear and the bit that connects the fob to the keyring is rubber and is easily broken. the one in the pic looks much better

It's a standard cobra type, you can buy replacement cases for a couple of pounds each. Just google "Cobra 2 button fob"

Scanny
26-10-2012, 06:55 PM
any idea how much a toad fob is? they have them on the website but no price

OrlandonOrtiz
26-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Hmmm.
If you are getting the keyless entry box for free it is possibly the best thing to do to get keyless entry.
I would have thought getting an alarm and fitting it yourself would be you next best thing to do, plus it might reduce you insurance a bit. But you might have to have it pro fitted to declare it on the insurance.
You can probably get an alarm for £40-£60 which will have 2 fobs, key less entry, ultrasonic glass break sensors, shock sensor, panic button and alarm.
Just a thought.

Have a search for wiring diagram posted by davecom1 it is the V6 electrical schematic for the car it will tell you where the connector will be for the key less entry box.

Nah, I just need keyless. I never park my Galant outside (it stays either inside my garage, my parent's garage or at the mall, which is insured).

I can't seem to find a davecom1 user, do you by any chance have a link to this schematic you mentioned?

Thanks mate

Davezj
26-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Nah, I just need keyless. I never park my Galant outside (it stays either inside my garage, my parent's garage or at the mall, which is insured).

I can't seem to find a davecom1 user, do you by any chance have a link to this schematic you mentioned?

Thanks mate

Sorry my bad it is davcom1 not davecom1 as post above.
Sorry I am too used to writing dave

crazydriver81
26-10-2012, 09:11 PM
The receiver for the keyless entry plugs in in the center console. It should belongs there, where the receiver from your friends Galant plugs in. You may find it in ASA under "electrics - sensors and relays".

I'd assume you will have already a receiver there but you may have missing the fob. In this case, you should be able to relearn the fob to your existing receiver. The procedure can be found in the repair manual, category 42 IIRC.

OrlandonOrtiz
28-10-2012, 01:13 AM
The receiver for the keyless entry plugs in in the center console. It should belongs there, where the receiver from your friends Galant plugs in. You may find it in ASA under "electrics - sensors and relays".

I'd assume you will have already a receiver there but you may have missing the fob. In this case, you should be able to relearn the fob to your existing receiver. The procedure can be found in the repair manual, category 42 IIRC.

Thanks a lot!

I'll have to take a look, I don't recall seeing any spare connectors / looms inside my center console.

Maybe my car is not prewired for this?

crazydriver81
28-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Orlando, I'd think your car is prewired. AFAIK, all 8G Galants had a keyless entry from factory.

However, I've attached a printout from ASA, where you can see the location of the receiver. It sits very down below, right hand, hardly recognizeable from inside the center console. You need to take off the passenger side plastic cover in the foot area to access the receiver and the plug.

jbjonb
30-10-2012, 09:11 PM
wouldnt mind finding out if the remote will operate mine...i've got one key :( which has the button for the keyless entry built in but its starting to get tired..... might be worth a bit of further digging me thinks ??

crazydriver81
30-10-2012, 10:45 PM
wouldnt mind finding out if the remote will operate mine...i've got one key :( which has the button for the keyless entry built in but its starting to get tired..... might be worth a bit of further digging me thinks ??

Replace the battery and clean the buttons on the PCB carefully with some brake cleaner - and it should work again without issues.

jbjonb
30-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Replace the battery and clean the buttons on the PCB carefully with some brake cleaner - and it should work again without issues.

cheers i'll give that a try :)

crazydriver81
30-10-2012, 11:07 PM
cheers i'll give that a try :)

Please don't apply the brake cleaner directly to the buttons! Use a cleaning towel with cleaner applied.

jbjonb
30-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Please don't apply the brake cleaner directly to the buttons! Use a cleaning towel with cleaner applied.

:O OH DEFO NOT ;) other thing i've noticed is this...when i got her the previous guy told me to never leave the key in the ignition when its off as she will lock me out...?? what i have noticed is if i open her remotely and for example open the boot using the internal handle even with the boot open...she'll lock the doors on me?? i tried the same but by only opening the drivers door and putting the window down...after turning the ignition lights off and leaving the key in once i shut the door after 10-15 secs she locks???...when i was getting the insurance sorted out online a few companies showed her as having a factory fitted thatcham 1 alarm/immobiliser fitted....is this a standard type alarm ???

OrlandonOrtiz
15-11-2012, 03:07 AM
Orlando, I'd think your car is prewired. AFAIK, all 8G Galants had a keyless entry from factory.

However, I've attached a printout from ASA, where you can see the location of the receiver. It sits very down below, right hand, hardly recognizeable from inside the center console. You need to take off the passenger side plastic cover in the foot area to access the receiver and the plug.

Sorry for taking this long to reply.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your explanation. My package with a few parts (including the module and the key fob) arrived yesterday, and I will try to find out it's proper location according to the diagram you showed me.

Hopefully I'll have keyless working soon :-)