PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid in boot?

wintertidenz
13-11-2012, 07:40 AM
I've just done the passenger's side tie rod for a WOF - and when I pulled it off some power steering fluid came out of the boot. It wasn't much, but enough to saturate the rag that I was using.

I've checked the fluid level, and it's fine - sitting at max level. When I put the boot back on I checked the power steering rack and it doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere.

Is this the beginning of the end for the power steering rack, or is some fluid leakage normal?

Subaru ETA
13-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Well put it this way - you can fail a WOF on it if checked properly!

Adam.Findlay
13-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Slow leak. theres usually always a tiny bit that gets past the seals but enough to saturate a rag sounds like a lot.
maby the seals in the rack are slowly degrading.

scott.mohekey
13-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I thought you meant the boot at the back of the car for a second there. That would be a worry!

Adam.Findlay
13-11-2012, 11:38 PM
so did i to start with. thought he had a leaky ayc resovoir. but then i clicked rack boot

wintertidenz
14-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Nah, AYC is fine (well I think it is... haven't checked that in ages... thanks for reminding me!).

I've put in some power steering fluid that has some stop leak in it and will see how it goes - the stuff is meant to be quite good.

wintertidenz
27-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Well, about three months on I pulled both boots off as I was doing the driver's side TRE (which didn't need to be done after all, but may as well replace both sides at the same time).

The driver's side is as dry as a bone, and the passenger's side boot had only residual power steering fluid in from where I cleaned it up last time. Happy days!