PDA

View Full Version : ATFs (earth calling Kieran)

I-S
15-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Right, having lost most of my faith in mitsubishi dealers after another episode yesterday (mechanic spent an hour on the car trying to find fault after MOT reported excessive play in wheel bearing and my report of a clonking noise AFTER having two of the arms on that side replaced.... No fault found. However, the clonking noise has gone away and they decided not to charge me for the labour which they had said before hand they would.... I think they found a fault they'd missed before or even caused, and fixed it on the quiet), I know that I need to sort the ATF issue myself or close to.

So... Getting SPII or compatible fluid is impossible unless I'm prepared to spend the money on Amsoil (is it worth it?!). Is Dexron III a reasonable substitute? Or will it eat the box seals? If DIII is good... what's a good brand? Halfrauds have some stuff by Comma, their own brand and Castrol. Is there much difference between different Dexron IIIs?

Roadrunner
15-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I've been using Castrol TQ Dexron III (recommended by the Mitsi dealer) since I bought the car nearly three years (and 70k+ miles) ago, without any problem.

Kieran
15-01-2005, 06:28 PM
I did considerable research into this Issac. My own Mitsubishi dealer uses Dexron-III and has been doing so for, "about 3 years". Camskill also recommend Dexron-III for use in the INVECS too.

Get a good, synthetic-based (if possible) Dexron-III ATF and you'll be fine. I eventually ended up using Castrol TQ Dexron-III (Which is actually a mineral base) just like Brian, and the improvement in shift quality was immediate and considerable.

This issue of finding SP-II fluid seems not worth the fuss it causes.

I-S
15-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Ok, I think I'll just go for the comma stuff, which is cheapest for the quantities required. Cheers guys!

-LegnumVR4-
15-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I've gotten prices for the AMSoil synthetic ATF: $200nz for 9.5L at my door step.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html

I-S
18-01-2005, 11:27 PM
I've found Mobil 1 synthetic ATF at around £11/litre. Worthwhile?

Kieran
18-01-2005, 11:45 PM
I've found Mobil 1 synthetic ATF at around £11/litre. Worthwhile?

Fecking pricey when you consider that a full flush is about 8 or 9 litres....

To be honest, as there's a question mark over the stuff that's already in your gearbox, I would order a couple of the 5 litre cans of either Comma or Motul Dexron III from Camskills @ £17.50 each.... Simply because you don't really want to waste fluid costing £11/ltr just flushing out old crappy fluid. Once the fluid is nice and clean, say a couple of changes later, then upgrade to posh stuff. ;)

I-S
19-01-2005, 12:22 AM
That's probably sense really... I was considering using cheap ATF as a flush anyway, but it did occur to me that it might be hard to tell when the cheap stuff was flushed out.

As they changed the filter when they did the mucked up fluid change, is it not worth replacing that at this point?

I-S
19-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Another thing just occured to me....

In order to avoid this whole flushing thing again, is it worth every 10k miles or so dropping 5 litres out of the ATF sump and refilling it, as in that distance the old fluid won't be too cooked?

I-S
19-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Ok, the comma stuff is £20 at halfrauds, so once delivery is accounted for it's not significant compared to camskills.

The hose needed... Fuel Hose or Fuel Injector Hose, as halfords have these as two different things? Is 8mm critical, as they only have fuel hose in that size, and the nearest fuel injector hose is 7.6mm.

Parts list I have in mind is:

8mm hose
10l ATF
2 clips for 8mm hose
ATF sump plug washer

Anything missing?

Tools:
Big wrench for sump plug
screwdriver for clips
Oil drain can

Anything else? A funnel?

I-S
23-01-2005, 09:04 PM
I've now got a quote of £95 + 6.40 P&P for 10L of Amsoil...

I'm interested in the amsoil because it is one of the only ones that explicitly states SPII on the compatibility list.

-LegnumVR4-
24-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm getting Mitzy to flush mine, it sucks all the crap out of the system before any of the new stuff goes in. Cleans it completely.

From the service centre of Mitzy here in ChCh NZ:

Road test and assess transmission

-Inspect fluid condition

-Add cleaning product
Connect transmission to electronic flushing
equipment and purge all old contaminated fluid
from the system

-Refill system with high quality fluid (AMSoil for me)

-Add conditioning product (not needed with the AMSoil)

-Road test vehicle to 50km/hr

I-S
24-01-2005, 12:20 PM
How have you found the Amsoil to perform?

-LegnumVR4-
25-01-2005, 08:28 AM
I haven't tried it yet, should make a big difference. I'll be putting it in soon once i get the $$ in order with the other mods :-b