PDA

View Full Version : new to the vr4

lowflyn
22-11-2012, 09:33 AM
hi all, iv just brought a legnum with 206thou on the clock and im wondering is that high ks for a 1999 lugnum and if they are high ks what problems mite i run into. my dad was the last owner and i know engine wize its been looked after. cam belts been done but not sure when . its had new wheel bearings and break rotors all round and seems to run VERY WELL/lol . iv only had the car a couple of days and i already love it so if anyone out there can tell me of any problems that can happen with this model your info is most welcomed

elnevio
22-11-2012, 10:38 AM
/Welcome

Keep the servicing up to date and use quality service items, and you should find that the VR-4 will give you reliability in return. Of course, any car can suffer from failure of components, regardless of how well looked after they are! But in the main, you can't go far wrong with regular servicing. :)

roryfromnz
22-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey Jared,
Welcome to the club!
206k seems to be around the norm for these cars in NZ.. Mine had 198 when i bought it and have had it for just over 2 years now. Ive had a couple of things fail - Crank Sensor and Starter motor being the recent things. Just make sure you always service (i service mine every 3000km) Make sure you use good quality oils - I use penrite HPR10 full synthetic. Hopefully you have a long happy relationship with the VR4 and by all means come back to here with questions. :-)

Bender
22-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey Dude

Welcome to the Club, What part of NZ are you in? And post some photos up to :)

lowflyn
23-11-2012, 04:05 AM
yo , im from masterton and i was gona tart the car up abit before i got the camera out as its factory as apart from a head unit and muffler but il get some pics up asap

lowflyn
23-11-2012, 04:42 AM
i come from the world of sports bikes and own a Hayabusa at the mo so im no stranger to regular servicing haha and i always use top shelf oils and parts so i get the feeling me and my new toy are gona get along just fine:d

lowflyn
23-11-2012, 04:55 AM
thanks for the welcome , im glad i found this club . glad iv found people to talk to about vr4's as most of my mates are into v8s and slowbee's /bat haha. like i said to Elnevio before i come from the sports bike scene so regular servicing is kinda second nature to me so i hope i do have a long and happy relationship with the wagon . thanks all for putting my mind at easy/lol/lol

MarkSanne
23-11-2012, 09:30 AM
There's nothing particular that will go wrong, well except for the dashboard-clock, but as for any car that is 10 years or older, the parts that wear down can / will need a replacement at some point. Stuff like exhaust pipe, downpipe (flex-part mainly), arms, joints & bushes might start to wear down to a point where they need a replacement. Same for the diff and seals in the drivetrain compartiemnts. Enginewise: only thing really prone to give up are the hydraulic lifters.