PDA

View Full Version : MBC set up

Scanny
23-11-2012, 04:06 PM
does anyone know how to fit this and set it up?
http://www.turbosmart.com.au/product/boost-tee

elnevio
23-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Ignore the arrows, but straight inline in the red tipped pipe that goes to the inside corner of the plastic elbow.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13393&d=1133315094

EDIT: The red tip is next to the (R) symbol on the plastic elbow.

elnevio
23-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Arrow points away from the elbow. You set it up by starting the valve fully open (i.e. free flow). In conjunction with a boost gauge, keep screwing it in (or out, whatever the relevant direction is) one turn at a time, until the max boost starts to increase on the gauge. Keep adjusting until happy. :)

An ideal tuning location is a dual carriageway with many parking lay-bys. Floor it in third from about 2500rpm to 4500rpm, you should hit peak boost there. :thumbsup:

Scanny
23-11-2012, 04:19 PM
thanks Nev. i did have a look at the online manual but trying to match their diagrams to the engine is some big ass moon jumps beyond my knowledge. its easy to draw a diagram and say what the pipes are but i dont know one pipe from another under the bonnet. chances are you could point to a small diameter pipe and i couldnt tell you if its carrying air, oil or water

Scanny
23-11-2012, 04:20 PM
am i right in thinking i am running at around 0.8 and want 1.2?

elnevio
23-11-2012, 04:22 PM
It probably running about 0.6 bar standard. 1.0 bar is roughly where you start to hit fuel cut.

Scanny
23-11-2012, 04:25 PM
according to the boost guage the peak was 0.94 at some point but i dont know when. i need to reset it and see what it tops out at now. its lucky its digital as someone thought the place to fit it is in the hole that the ashtray used to be in making it impossible to see when driving. it will be getting moved when i finally figure out how to get the head unit out of the V6 and can then get the fascia moved over

elnevio
23-11-2012, 05:36 PM
You'll sometimes get a higher 'peak' than your actual max boost, be it spiking, or whatever.

Gingerfish
23-11-2012, 07:15 PM
When I had my EBC fitted, I was told by the guy setting it up that it would be an idea to hover closely to 1.0bar to ensure staying within safety limits of the turbos. One would assume that the harder you push them, the more likely they are to pop. I get a good kick from mine sitting at 0.9. I've found that even small amounts make a big 0-60 difference.

elnevio
23-11-2012, 07:27 PM
It certainly increases the 'area under the curve' massively. But much above 1.0 bar in a relatively standard configuration, you don't gain very much, and everything runs a lot hotter too (and that's if you're not getting fuel cut!).

Scanny
23-11-2012, 07:41 PM
everything runs a lot hotter too .

this is something i will be asking about at some point. i have a small wish list with regards to power but nothing internal or drastic like bigger turbos. i dont want to cook the engine or compromise reliability though. im looking at bigger intercooler, upgrading pipes, plugs, leads etc

aboo
23-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Get your car on a dyno & see what power you are getting now & take it from there. I have a MBC here that I ran on my car for almost 3 years before i got the remap if you want it? I can also fit it & set it up next time I see you.

Takes about 15 minutes as you saw when I fitted one to Colin's one at Moffat 2 years ago.

Scanny
23-11-2012, 10:09 PM
the one i linked to is the one i bought from Steve Andy. i took his word for its quality but he is strangely reluctant to advise on fitting. i did a search and found the website but their diagrams mean diddly to me. i am using a mechanic who knows his stuff but not these cars so i would prefer to have guidance for him to make sure it is all where its meant to be and set up properly for these cars. same as the dump valve, i want to replace that with something suitable but thats a bigger minefield than the MBC

Gingerfish
23-11-2012, 10:37 PM
A good Jap tuners should be able to help. Even if Legnums aren't their speciality, they should be farmiliar with turbo enhancing arangements.

aboo
23-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Have a look here. http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?39064-Boost-gauge-amp-MBC