PDA

View Full Version : damn car!!

Trow
17-01-2005, 09:55 AM
o.k here's my rant!!

I noticed a few weeks ago that my steering wheel wobbled under excelaration and also noticed a bulge on the front drivers tire! o.k - no money... ignore it! well 3 days ago the bulge got so bad I was forced into changing both front tires, now the wobble is worse!! so took the car to the garage and got ALL four wheels balanced! it's still the same.. it drives fine up to 100Kmh then starts to shake and if I boot it the shake gets that bad the CD skips (not good)
if I boot it to 120 then dip the clutch the shake is still there but not half as bad!

right.. English crap but facts across!! help ( i need this fixed before the big meet on the 12th)

p.s
am going to speak with CV expurts tommorow and see if it may be related to the inner CV joints.

Kenneth
17-01-2005, 08:45 PM
steering rod ends? I may be talking out my backside, but I have read on clubvr4 that there have been problems with them.
Unless I have been dreaming about CVR4 again ;)

Spirit
17-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Also get the alignment checked as well as the balancing ;)

Kenneth
17-01-2005, 11:02 PM
My car is in getting alignment done as I type...
I would think the alignment would have to be pretty far out to get that degree of problem... I find alignment problems usually show the most under heavy braking, where it squirms in the front.
leave no stone unturned however.

Maybe you can put your car on axle stands and see if there is any noticable play in the steering? Apparently you can also rotate the wheels to see if there is something serious with your CV joints.

-LegnumVR4-
18-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Check the tie rod ends as well as the rods. A guy whos pro on a wheel alignments should be able to detect if these are the problems. Checking the wheel balance would be a good idea too.

I don't think ur CV's are the problem, the only time u have a prolem with them is if the are leaking grease or they are starting to click when going around corners.

Trow
18-01-2005, 07:39 AM
thanks for the reply's guys but WHOOOO HOOO I GOT IT FIXED!!!! :D :D and now 400 bucks lighter :dozey:

my track rod ends on the drivers side are slightly worn but it ended up being the inner CV joints which I suspected in the first place, I agree the outer CV's will only click when turning corners but the inner ones buffer the side to side motion and if these wear then you will get a vibration!!... should have taken photos... Damn!!

anywayz.. car is driving like a dream now so BRING ON OUR CLUB MEEET!!!!

thanks again folks, your a fountain of knowledge out there!!!

dickytim
18-01-2005, 08:05 AM
my vibration is over 130, so its not as much a problem and stops around 140..... found this out on a track of coarse (says as he looks down at his speeding fine) :sad3:

Kenneth
18-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Good to hear you got it fixed!

Trow
18-01-2005, 08:33 AM
well it could be a similar thing because the vibration will happen at whatever point of the CV joint is worn, mine was between 100-120K's but your groove so to speak could be further in. Don't know if this will make sense :-D