PDA

View Full Version : Fuel - What to use in me Sport 2.5???

habbers
17-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Fuel for a Sport 2.5.

Used to run the scoob on Optimax, felt better and gave slightly better fuel economy by around 20 miles per tank (55litres).

Tried it in the honda, ran better, no discernable change to the economy

Is it worth running the Galant on it, it is around 4-10 p per litre more than std fuel. Are there any benefits to consumption/performance or even looking after the engine?

I know the Japanese get better fuel than we do at 100 ron. The sticker under the fuel flap just states unleaded.

Whats best?

Nick Mann
17-01-2005, 11:25 AM
On the VR-4 it makes a big difference. On the V6 less so, but I think mpg and bhp are slightly better. Is it worth the extra? I would say 4p a litre yes, 10p no.

I-S
17-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I found it gave a noticeable improvement in top-end overtaking grunt in my GLS. For everyday driving though, it wasn't significant. Given that at the time I was doing 90miles per day commuting, the price difference precluded me from using it often.

colVR4
17-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Its all I use in my Sport. I do get better fuel economy from it and normally manage 30-35 mpg. On long, steady motorway runs I regularly get nearer 35 mpg.

I think that the car responds better with the Optimax than with premium unleaded but until we do a couple of runs at Santa Pod with a car running with and without we'll never know for sure.

Kieran
17-01-2005, 06:46 PM
As others have said here...

If I'm tootling around town.... No real difference. If i'm howling round to the redline, then Optimax or Super does make Hordak pull a bit better.

I had to run a couple of tankfulls through and then reset the ECU before I noticed a difference however.

wirdy
18-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Fellow VR4 owners stone me if you want but... my guide is

Normal driving at this time of year = supermarket petrol.

Summer / dry roads / track days = fill with optimax, drive 10 miles to clear pipes then reset ECU, then fun ;)

Legnum Boy
18-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Fellow VR4 owners dis-own me if you want

:p

I have used Shell Optimax in every car I have owned since my first turbo.
Reducing the chance of det in turbo cars is paramount to engine life, and the cleaning agents used in optimax are sold on me!!! :rolleyes:

I have never (touch wood) had engine related problems with any cars, ever.... except my 2nd ever car, which was a K series engined rover 214. That suffered HGF.... and that was the last car I had before switching to Shell. :-D :-D ;)

Sad but True, and the Optimax plus points card can't be used for non optimax fuel. I cannot fit another card in my wallet, what with all these maxed out credit cards already in there.... :laugh: :laugh: