PDA

View Full Version : gearbox

Scanny
10-12-2012, 09:21 PM
is the gearbox the same in a V6 and VR4? apparently audi quattros use a fwd gearbox rather than a specific 4wd gearbox

Subaru ETA
10-12-2012, 09:22 PM
V6 is 4 speed vr4 is 5 speed

Wodjno
10-12-2012, 09:28 PM
You mean MT? Then no, it's different. Not possible to run a N/A FWD V6 box on a VR4.

Well not unless you make it FWD :D

Nick Mann Services
10-12-2012, 09:36 PM
4WD and FWD boxes are different on any type of 8th gen galant, be it manual or auto.

Longbow77
10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
But its the same as the box used on the Evo 4 - 6 though right? So plenty of spare gearboxes out there if you need one........... There are loads of Evos being broken on MLR and ebay........

Nick Mann
10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Any Evo 5 speed box will fit with a bellhousing change. Some 7's and 8's had the 5 speed, not sure about the 9.

Scanny
10-12-2012, 10:40 PM
its not something i think i need. just an enquiry that i was asked to find out about

just out of interest though, would an EVO gearbox be considered an upgrade on a manual VR4?

Longbow77
10-12-2012, 11:08 PM
No, as its exactly the same part less the bell housing. When they made the VR4 they just grabbed a lot of the Evo drivetrain parts such as AYC diff, transfer box, gearbox etc.

Nick Mann
10-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Evos have different gear ratios - some are identical to the VR4 some are not. Most Evos are shorter geared than the VR4 which I would consider a handicap to my car - I don't intend to rally it!

Gly
11-12-2012, 03:08 AM
evo final drive is shorter, and the vr4 final drive is sort after as a evo gearbox upgrade.

you can use the evo gearsets to get a longer 1st/2nd/5th in the vr4.

the V6 4wd NA manual gearbox will bolt onto a vr4, but the clutch is smaller, and push type instead off pull.
not sure on ratio's but no doubt they will differ from the vr4/evo

roryfromnz
11-12-2012, 03:12 AM
So that being said, does that mean we have a higher top speed than the evo's??
What is the top speed of one of these anyway? Whos gone the fastest?

evo final drive is shorter, and the vr4 final drive is sort after as a evo gearbox upgrade.

you can use the evo gearsets to get a longer 1st/2nd/5th in the vr4.

the V6 4wd NA manual gearbox will bolt onto a vr4, but the clutch is smaller, and push type instead off pull.
not sure on ratio's but no doubt they will differ from the vr4/evo

CANDEE
11-12-2012, 03:52 AM
So that being said, does that mean we have a higher top speed than the evo's??
What is the top speed of one of these anyway? Whos gone the fastest?
No it doesnt mean that we have a higher top speed, its just longer ratio than the evo's due to the torque differences.

If you have a evo box on a vr4, it will rev faster and will have a lower top speed, but the torque will be multiplied by the shorter fd.

The honda's change the fd's on their cars all the time to make them more useable on the track. :)

If you want to see a dramatic example of this, search for H2B civics/integras on youtube, these have an H22A with a B16/18 gearbox on them.. ;)

roryfromnz
11-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Oh ok cool.
Yeai used to have a Rover 220 with a transverse version of that gearbox except it had a much longer 5th gear. They used to swap the internals over from the hondas into the rover boxes as the final has an LSD on it as apposed to the torsion diff the Rover had. I stripped 4 of those gearboxes when i put the big roller bearing t28 on it. haha was hell fast but man did it lunch the drive chain alot!

No it doesnt mean that we have a higher top speed, its just longer ratio than the evo's due to the torque differences.

If you have a evo box on a vr4, it will rev faster and will have a lower top speed, but the torque will be multiplied by the shorter fd.

The honda's change the fd's on their cars all the time to make them more useable on the track. :)

If you want to see a dramatic example of this, search for H2B civics/integras on youtube, these have an H22A with a B16/18 gearbox on them.. ;)

Scanny
12-12-2012, 06:52 AM
so an evo gearbox will rev faster (accelerate faster) but at the cost of top end speed which i will never reach anyway? knockhill is the only racing circuit near me and you wont get much past 100MPH anyway and thats with more power to weight than our cars can manage

Kenneth
12-12-2012, 11:49 PM
OEM Gearboxes are usually geared so that your speeds relate to "usable" RPM ranges. It is not by accident that at common road speeds you have a gear which feels right for that speed.
The VR-4 engine is quite good with torque but doesn't rev well, so the gearing and final drive is adjusted to suit.

Even with a standard VR-4 final drive, the manual gearbox is useless in 1st gear, unless you are towing. The Evos commonly have a 2.785 ratio first gear to make up for the final drive gear, if you had this in a VR-4 I think you would quickly be annoyed with it.

Alternatively you can make a hybrid gear set with the VR-4 final drive and use the Evo 1st, 2nd and 5th gear ratios. This will give you closer ratios but maintain the VR-4 final drive.

Personally I have such a gearbox with the Evo 2.785 1st and 1.95 2nd. All other ratios are as standard. While in very slow traffic (I mean VERY slow, the sort you can walk faster than) it is a pain because of the twin plate clutch, all other operating conditions have made me appreciate the difference. I can get nearly 80kph in 1st for example, allowing much better acceleration through the first gear.