PDA

View Full Version : MOMO steering wheel

Scanny
28-12-2012, 03:54 AM
i probably know the answer to this but is there any way of de-sensitizing the horn buttons?

unless i am careful to avoid everything above the side spokes the thing beeps when i go round corners and when i use the steering wheel to get in/out of the car with the ignition on (V6 has a drivers grab handle, VR4 doesnt. yet!) and i have mentioned this before which showed some others with the same problem whether they have a galant/legnum or EVO. its really getting on my tits now /bat

Davezj
28-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Hyper theatrically you could pull the horn button mechanism apart and swap out the springs for stuffer ones. That is probably one of the only way to do it, properly.
You could use some closed cell foam of the correct colour and stuff it between horn button and the steering wheel, which will firm up the button.

Nick Mann
28-12-2012, 12:24 PM
I've never had one apart before so I don't know for sure but usually there is a spring between the button and the contact. If there is and you can get to it then you might be able to put a stronger one in.

Kryton
28-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Chop your thumbs off?

On a serious note, you will not be able to pull it apart without getting it reupholstered. The leather that covers that part of the wheel is glued on & the stitching is fake. The chances of being able to peel it off & reuse it & still look ok is very slim.

As suggested, it is possible to change the springs but you will be looking at £150 - £350 to get it put back together again depending on who you use & what leathers

Scanny
28-12-2012, 03:24 PM
too impractical and a PITA. it is ridiculously sensitive though. i grab the top of the steering wheel and the car starts beeping.

on a broadly related note, does the car have mounts for the grab handle behind the roof lining above the drivers head?

Kryton
28-12-2012, 04:05 PM
No idea but would be surprised if it didn't as mine has a handle there

Scanny
28-12-2012, 04:30 PM
my car is seemingly different to most others. i have a roof lining made of a material that is similiar to a nappy changing mat. my rear window has a plastic insert which gets dirt on the side that you cant get to without stripping the plastic trim. now it seems i am missing a grab handle which i can source from the V6 anyway when i swap the roof lining and pillar plastics

Davezj
28-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I would have said the drivers side does not normally have a grab handle because the driver has that big disk to hold on to when they are driving, where as the passenger needs something to hang on to when driving around, well they do when I am driving. LOL!

Scanny
28-12-2012, 05:04 PM
the V6 has one above each door but the VR4 doesnt have one for the driver. it would be useful as i am on a camber at home and with the sport seats it is really difficult to get out of the car. being that low doesnt help due to the angle of the knee. it wouldnt be so bad if my leg was at 90 degrees but its not as much as that so i am trying to get up and sideways at the same time without kicking the sideskirt or pulling the door off lol

menno3x8g
28-12-2012, 06:25 PM
If you use this:
you don't need to touch your disc anymore and have a good grip for getting off your car.

Kryton
28-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I think some insurance companies now have issues with them suicide nobs in the uk unless you are registered disabled

Kenneth
28-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Some do and some don't.
Out of the 4 VR-4s I have owned, it was only the factory facelift auto (converted to manual) which had one.

the V6 has one above each door but the VR4 doesnt have one for the driver. it would be useful as i am on a camber at home and with the sport seats it is really difficult to get out of the car. being that low doesnt help due to the angle of the knee. it wouldnt be so bad if my leg was at 90 degrees but its not as much as that so i am trying to get up and sideways at the same time without kicking the sideskirt or pulling the door off lol

Kryton
28-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Mines a fl auto & has one do might be onto something there

menno3x8g
28-12-2012, 08:38 PM
mines both V6es have 4, Legnum has 3, all pfl.

BEG4ME
28-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Why not just pull the horn relay or fuse? Or pull the wires from the horns themselves?

SEAN-NZ
29-12-2012, 04:56 AM
me and my mate, both pfl legnum vr4, both have all 4 handles lol

Scanny
29-12-2012, 07:42 AM
i could pull the wires off the horn but i dont want to disable it, just not have it going off every time i reverse park which is every time i park in a parking bay at work or in town. i palm the steering wheel rather than the official test method which is way to slow for anyone under pensionable age