PDA

View Full Version : VR4 ownership and V6 comparison

ritch_w
19-01-2005, 06:45 PM
My thoughts on the VR4 after a months ownership

Likes;
Performance – phwoaaarr!!! Nearest thing on 4 wheels to a superbike – and I have had a few! (bikes that is!)

Performance – is also very subtle and understated – I find I can boot it past a car at say 70mph and it doesn't feel like your accelerating hard – until you realise that the car that was previously doing 70mph in front of you has now decided to reverse away behind you and a rapid speed!!! love it!

Handling – firm, compliant and can take the twisties unlike anything I have driven before.

Recaro Seats – smart, comfortable and supportive – just adds to the whole VR4 experience.

Looks – stunning (as are all Galants ;)!) Have now mastered lip reading – can lip read “WTF is that??” from 50 yards.

Dual personality / Schizophrenic – The VR4 can be incredibly civilised and docile – which is good when the Mrs & kids are in the car, also my Mrs has driven the car and doesn't understand what all the fuss is about – she wont have pushed it at all! But when you put the foot down the VR4 is beast that like can worked hard and gives very rewarding driving experience.

Dislikes;
Fuel Consumption – 18mpg when driving like an old lady, 170 miles to a tank!!!! FFS evil!!! Best I have seen on a decent run is 23mpg... not like it was a surprise, just takes getting used to......

Headlamps are average – hopefully just need new bulbs or a bulb upgrade.

2001 VR4 vs 2002 V6 Sport

Performance – no comparison really, V6 is quick, VR4 is a quicker.

Headlamps – V6 lamps were better.

Gearbox – The VR4 auto box ratios are more like a normal 5 speed box – eg can do 4th at 30 and 5th at 35mph, V6 ratios are different – can only do 4th after 47mph.
I wonder how the ratios relate to performance and economy????

V6 rear seats fold down which is handy – VR4 rear seats are fixed.

V6 had 17” alloys – VR4 has 16”, tempted to get 17” for the VR4 but will wait for a while yet. Not sure if 17” wheels with LP tyres would make the ride harsher???

Economy – V6 wins 25 – 36mpg – VR4 18-23mpg :(

KiwiTT
19-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Was tempted by the V6 before I got the VR-4. The fuel usage you can live with, if you imagine you are driving a 4L V8. However, I am also glad I have the 17". Avoid 18" as the cost of tyres, will almost double from 17".

Spirit
19-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I run 17's with lowered suspension and the ride still isn't harsh mate......go for it ;) :-b