PDA

View Full Version : Mapped for UK Fuel?

Sulli
19-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Did the Ralliart VR4s get remapped for UK fuel when received by the Ralliart dealers, does anyone know?
I am wondering as Jap fuel is 100RON, and one of the Legnums I looked at, which had not been remapped according to delaer, was being run by him on normal UL fuel :rolleyes: Surely this will cause DET???
I run mine on optimax, but wondered if it has been mapped to that, if at all.

RED
20-01-2005, 12:11 AM
the mistubushi ecu is not remappable. the only way to alter air fuel ratios etc is by having the ecu rechipped with a suitable chip. ralliart don't do this to the cars when they are imported. hope this answers your question and yes you should ideally run it on optimax or similar :-D Marcus

Spirit
20-01-2005, 12:11 AM
As far as I know they were not remapped. All 8G VR4's need super unleaded in the UK - Optimax being the preferred by many but there are other good fuels. If you use 95 ron then the car will run fine but the ECU reduces the power by approx 60bhp to protect the engine. If you must use 95 at some point then reset the ECU and fill up with 97/98

Nick Mann
20-01-2005, 10:35 AM
I heard a rumour that UK supplied cars were re-mapped, but never found any evidence. This thread appears to point in the other direction now, doesn't it?

The only other point I will make is that my current VR4 (early tiptronic legnum, grey import.) seems better on fuel on a run but worse when playing than my previous (late tiptronic legnum, UK supplied.)

MPBVr4
20-01-2005, 02:19 PM
How do you "reset" ECU if 95 has been used is this a mitsi garage job or DIY ??
My 2001 Ralliart VR4 appears to run OK on 95 but does seem a bit flat at times.

Sulli
20-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I have also read that the Ralliart imports were remapped, as opposed to the grey imports, which were not.
As for ECU reset - there is probably a special way to do it, but disconnecting your bettery for an hour or so will do it, followed by a spirited drive :D

Oh, and I would not, out of principal, put 95RON in my car. In 18 months driving the Scooby, all over the country, I only once failed to put Optimax in, and then I used BP Ultimate, which I found to be not as good as the optimax (got fuel cut under full load).

Nick VR4
20-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Resetting the ECU takes 30 secs disconnect battery

MPBVr4
21-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks Nick I might be able to keep up with the missus 3000GT now

Sulli
24-01-2005, 09:49 PM
The Service Manager I spoke to at a Mitsubishi dealer today, reckoned they did have remaps - for two reasons:
1. Because the grey import legnum ECUs cannot be read by the MUT software;
2. For 98 RON fuel

He didn't know this for definate, but thought it was the case.
Wonder who would know for sure??

Legnum Boy
24-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Because the grey import legnum ECUs cannot be read by the MUT software;

:uhoh2: :uhoh2: :thinking:

This will need to be investigated further, as I was never told of any software complications during services.
Will be on the phone to my local Ralliart in the morning...

Spirit
25-01-2005, 01:07 AM
I hope for god's sake they haven't remapped the ECU's ! With the crap job they did wiring the rear fog, and the cheap speedo converter they fitted I would hate to think of the potential for f**king up the ECU :laugh:

paulmc
25-01-2005, 01:17 AM
there is no way they re-mapped the vr4, they imported the evo 6 and sold them the way they came in. as i am sure you know the evo 6 should run on 100ron, the same as the vr4.

not even power engineering can re-map the vr4 so pretty sure ralliart can't either.

98ron will work fine. As some of the evo lads run ralliart ecu's up to 1.5bar of boost and they are mapped for 100ron.

I ran the power engineering ecu @1.7bar peak in my evo 5 but it is mapped for 97 ron.

Paul