PDA

View Full Version : What does a busted/blown turbo feel like?

Atik
17-01-2013, 11:32 AM
I realise there is probably no definitive answer, but was hoping to try to eliminate a busted/blown turbo from my list.

I get a very light judder through the car when driving at around 2000-2500rpm in every gear. It isnt speed related and the judders feel consistent whether in 2nd gear or in 5th gear at those rpm.

Its started about 3-4 weeks ago, and initially put it down to low tyre pressure (as I also had the odd AYC bar in a straight line). I've since pressurised to 32psi for all tyres, but its still there. I then thought maybe its a wheel balance issue as the missus hit a pothole hard around that time. But in my experience a wheel balance issue will be present at a certain speed whichever gear I'm in, which throuws that out of the question. I may still have a balance issue due to that pothole, which I will get looked at soon.

So it leads me to think maybe at those rpm, the turbo is beginning to spool up and if there is a missing/damaged blade in one/both turbos then could it cause a judder almost like wheel balance issues?

If I accelerate hard, the car shoots through those rpm so quick I dont even notice it, but at normal driving, those rpm is where I am sat and its getting to me a bit. I'm hoping to take the car to a garage soon and take a proper look underneath the car.

Any other suggestion from you guys? I realise it may not be much to go on.

elnevio
17-01-2013, 11:33 AM
It might something as simple as a plug/lead/coil pack issue?

Atik
17-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Hmm, I did a full plugs and leads replacement about 3-4 months ago and the car was running totally fine after the change. I supposed I could check them again.

WOODY72
17-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Make sure you dont have a big dent on the inner rim from the pothole, front or rear or both.

Nick Mann
17-01-2013, 12:32 PM
I'd be thinking plug/lead/coil pack too.

Just slide your hand under the manifold and see if you can feel that the leads are clipped on properly. I've seen aftermarket leads come unseated before.

Atik
17-01-2013, 12:38 PM
The pothole was a hard hit, on both front and rear on the same side. I cant remember which side now though! But I'll be getting it looked at and balanced this weekend.

And it was a set of Magnecors that I fit so being aftermarket, I suppose it could have come unseated. I'll check that as soon as I can, just not sure about checking in this cold weather!

miller
17-01-2013, 12:56 PM
The Magnecors need a fair bit of effort to correctly seat them!

Nick Mann
17-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Aye, it was Magnecores that I found the issue with a few years back. I could actually hear a slight ticking coming from under the inlet plenum - higher pitched than a lifter tick and not so obvious.

Wobble
17-01-2013, 01:26 PM
had the same issue with magnecores , one of mine done the same , didnt notice a judder though only found out when changing plugs .

Nick Mann
17-01-2013, 01:55 PM
The car I remember was Physicians, with red magnecores. He noticed a slight miss at lower revs. IIRC he noticed an occasional issue at idle too.

Atik
17-01-2013, 03:46 PM
The car I remember was Physicians, with red magnecores. He noticed a slight miss at lower revs. IIRC he noticed an occasional issue at idle too.

Got this too. Its so intermittent, but I did notice a slight miss the other day while stationary.

Davezj
17-01-2013, 10:00 PM
do you have an auto box atik?

low revs in all gears judder sound familier?

Nick Mann
17-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Atiks car is manual.

Davezj
17-01-2013, 10:40 PM
shame, is possible clutch judder.

but a manual box slipping is easy to test for. so probably not that, worth a thought.

Atik
17-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Not clutch judder and not a slipping clutch. After the suggestions above, I do think it could be the leads not seated fully. It feels like the power loss experienced with dodgy plugs and leads except its so faint and only at 2k rpm. I'd guess that at those rpm a certain current is flowing through the leads which is not good whereas at higher rpm a higher current flows through which is fine.

Davezj
18-01-2013, 12:10 AM
That is good news really, as plugs and leads are an easy fix.
Can you borrow a set from someone to do a swap for your so you can see if he problem disappears on you car and appears on the doner car.
That would be a perfect result.

MarkSanne
18-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I think I have a similar judder on the VR2. It's there when I boot it, but when I gradualy increase speed it's just a very minor judder only on a certain speed/revs.

For my case, I'm suspecting the 'new' set of wheels firstly, although balanced with brand new tyres. Next thing I'm suspecting is the wheel hubs and the axles. I have new hubs, new axles and another set of wheels & tires waiting to be mounted, along with a new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel... Wish I had more time and room in my garage!

I'll be following this thread closely though. Maybe I'll need my spare set of turbo's after all ;)

swinks
18-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Seconded to ignition fail. Either coil packs or plugs itself. Seems like misfire on 1 cylinder.
Also camshaft sensor is worth to check.

With blown turbo you wouldn't have judder, rather loss of power across all rev range and whistle noise, in most cases also smoke behind vehicle.

swinks
18-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Seconded to ignition fail. Either coil packs or plugs itself. Seems like misfire on 1 cylinder.
Also camshaft sensor is worth to check.

With blown turbo you wouldn't have judder, rather loss of power across all rev range and whistle noise, in most cases also smoke behind vehicle.

Atik
29-01-2013, 11:45 PM
It seems to be getting a little worse. Just done the best part of 500 miles in two days and it is quite disconcerting.

I suspect I have a leak in the downpipes due to the fabrication issue aiming the flexi downwards instead of flat. If there was a leak, could this cause the stutter in power at this rev range. It only seems to be at around 2100-2700 rpm in every gear. If I accelerate hard through this range, I dont feel it so much.

In addition to this, I do suspect that I have at least one (maybe two) wheels that need their balancing checked out. The recent snow had caused potholes to appear out of nowhere and I am afraid the car has taken a beating with some of them.

I will be aiming to try to get a day on the weekend to check the car out, so fingers crossed its an easy fix...

SEAN-NZ
30-01-2013, 09:49 AM
as far as i know, leak post turbo shouldnt create much if any power issues, a fair bit of different opinions on the matter, id imagine the affects would be negligable though, had a leaky gasket due to me being impatient for about 8-9 months, didnt notice any difference accept for being able to hear the leak at rpms lower than about 2k i think, easy enough to check for a leak though, depending on how balsy you are, put your hand close to suspected leak lol, id say itd be better to do it when cars cold, incase your get to close trying to feel for a leak

Atik
30-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks Sean. The possible leaky bit is right at the front of the exhaust almost at the point where the two outlets from the turbos join to one. The flexi was welded too low and I've been bottoming out on almost every speed bump.

I will try to get the car on some axle stands this weekend and check it. I suspect it may be my issue as it feels like the power stutters due to a backdraft or something. I've had failing coils/plugs/leads before and that felt like a proper jolt when you lost power, this is a stutter like its a slow leak of power and not a sudden drop of power.

Erni902
31-01-2013, 12:34 AM
When the flexis went on my last set of downpipes I had roughly the same symptoms as your experiencing but I would only get the stutter when the engine was cold. Once she had warmed up she was fine. I also had similar symptoms when one of my coil packs had a hairline fracture, although there was a ticking present and misfire aswell. The coil pack was arcing to the rocker cover and as Nick said above it was a higher pitch than lifter tick.

Hope you narrow it down mate :)

Atik
31-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Engine bay is super sweet and quiet. Zero lifter noise which I am chuffed about as my old car ticked like a ticking thing! And I did have faulty leads which arc'd regularly but like I said earlier, the leads and plugs were changed only in Oct last year so I am certain they are fine

I am certain now that my problems are due to a leaky downpipe, the recent snow/salt/grit combined with bottoming out on the slush/ice has probably opened the hole a little more. Desperately waiting for the weekend to try to get to a garage to get my other problem with wheel balancing checked out! I can take a peek under the car at the same time.

Atik
01-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Problem solved?

Managed to take the car out to a garage today.

Garage 1 wanted £250 to take the downpipes off and repair it, without even looking at the car!

Garage 2 looked at it, and saw the flexi mesh has been damaged but its not leaking. So ok, on the exhaust front then.

Garage 2 also does tyres so I asked them to check. Front passenger was FUBAR. The inside wall had a bulge about 20cm long from the wheel rim to tyre edge! I was surprised it held up for the 1000 miles of driving I have done in Jan! So that had to be replaced, which means both fronts to be replaced. I kept my good tyre as an emergency reserve tyre. So once fronts were fitted, paid for and ready to leave, I asked if they could check out my rear wheel balancing. Rear driver side went off first and although the tyre was good, balance was WAY out. Seems that the magnets had fallen off. Then on the rear passenger, I found that was also FUBAR. There were about 3 bulges on the inside wall, and again I was surprised it held up for the last few weeks! So ended up putting my good tyre from the front on that wheel. Tread levels are the same, so I now have two sets of tyres on the car (something I never thought I would do). I just cant afford to get them all changed right now, and maybe in a few months once finances are steady again, I'll go for a full set of Falkens or something!

Anyway, end result is the car drives smooth again. I couldnt feel the stutter in power either, so whether I was feeling the whole car as unbalanced and translating that to a power issue, I dont know, but the car was warm so I'll wait for a cold start and see if feels any different.

Note to self, avoid letting the wife drive... secondary note, avoid potholes... note third, if wife has to drive, do not fall asleep, and monitor the road ahead to warn of impending potholes!

horndog
01-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Glad its sorted,

Do you have many of those island type road bumps where you live?
When they were installed near me I went through 3 tyres with damaged inner walls in less than 12000 miles - the tyre fitter I use recons hes seen loads more sidewall damaged tyres since

Davezj
01-02-2013, 07:26 PM
It also been reported that that there has been an increase in suspension spring failures since big speed bumper have been fitted in certain areas so don't hit them hard.

Atik
01-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Took a drive just now from cold, and the stutter is gone! I must have been feeling all four wheels out of balance as the power issues!

Its transformed the car for me again, and it was fun to drive! /lol

As for speed bumps, they are everywhere. In my mums area, there have been speed bumps since around 1999/2000 and they are the best bumps I have come across. They are just enough to stop you going over the speed limit, and not enough to make you crawl over them. Then in the last couple of years, other roads round the area have had bumps installed and they made my Mondeo bottom out. A Mondeo! I havent even tried some of those roads with the VR4.

I think the culprit is the recent pothole epidemic. I have hit loads myself and I am very watchful of the road ahead. God only know how many my wife hits when she takes the car out on her own!