PDA

View Full Version : just fitted a turbosmart mbc!

gazmk2
19-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Finally got round to buying a boost controller, in the end I went for a manual bleed valve from turbosmart. Fitted in about 2 mins thanks to the guide on here and it was very easy to set up.

I just wound it out until I hit boost cut then wound it back in 5 clicks. Ended up winding in another 3 clicks just to be safe! I didn't feel much of a difference to start with, it was only when I went up the same road I used to do that 0-60 time (in my other thread) that the differences became apparent!

My best 0-60 time before was 5.8 seconds, that was with decent launch, crap 60ft time (2.65s) and a mildly damp road. I tried today and even with bits of snow and ice on the road with wheelspin it managed a 5.9s 0-60 sprint! I recon in the dry that should drop 3 or 4 10ths. I do suspect a boost leak though as there is definate tail off of power in longer gears.

WOODY72
19-01-2013, 04:34 PM
That's normal i think Gary, turbo's running out of puff. Pays to change a bit earlier to keep in the torque range. You'll have to get a boost guage now.

gazmk2
19-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah got one coming too. I wound the mbc down a few clicks just keep things safe. Out of the 50 clicks from fully open to fully closed I am 7 from fully open (fully open being stock boost). I think a bigger intercooler and hard pipe kit would be then next logical step.

John TheAntique
19-01-2013, 04:54 PM
You will find that when temperatures go back up you will be able to wind it back out quite a bit more. Temperature makes a big big diference

gazmk2
19-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah I read a few threads about hitting fuel cut in winter. It makes sense as the colder air is more dense so has more oxygen by volume than warmer air. I do feel a bigger intercooler would benefit a lot more than turning the boost up even more. What do you all use? Are there specific kits for our cars or is a case of finding one thats close enough and make it fit?

ex-derv
19-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I bought one today too! I'm not clear on whether it comes with the in-cabin boost controller or if this is separate? I already have a Stack boost gauge but without any boost adjustment controls.

Relieved to hear it's an easy job though!

gazmk2
19-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah its a doddle. Just cut the pipe withbthe red paint on the end and fit the mbc with arrow pointing away from the inlet pipe. Out of the 4 turns of adjustment it has though you only need 1/2 turn out to hit fuel cut!

ex-derv
19-01-2013, 06:25 PM
so does it come with the in-cabin controller?

gazmk2
19-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Mine didn't mate no. It is just an adjustable tee piece really.

ex-derv
19-01-2013, 07:27 PM
ok - well thats an excuse for a trip to RCA race and rally then!

Subaru ETA
19-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Just a tip - if you get a small piece of hose then you don't need to cut anything! Just put the new hose on one end, and onto the intake, and the red tip goes on the other end.

That way you can return it to standard easy.

gazmk2
19-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Thats a damn fine idea! Would have saved me cursing at the lack of length on the standard pipe!

miggle
28-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Thats a damn fine idea! Would have saved me cursing at the lack of length on the standard pipe! when fitting a boost controler how many psi can you run on a stock engen? and if you put a bigger fual pump in can you run more psi?

andyleaves
28-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Thats a damn fine idea! Would have saved me cursing at the lack of length on the standard pipe! when fitting a boost controler how many psi can you run on a stock engen? and if you put a bigger fual pump in can you run more psi?

I think so but, I'm sure there are some other considerations that need to be taken into account as well. Plugs, Leads etc., But pump seems to be the main go to by default!