PDA

View Full Version : Question about reversing lights

Deviant
20-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Just been out to look as I'm going to switch the drivers side reversing light to a fog to get rid of the massive one hanging loose off the rear bumper.

Is it as simple as splicing the feed from the import fog switch into the old reversing light feed? Or will i need to swap the earth as well? Think the import fog is just body earthed so would have to run a new cable in for that.

Didn't want to wire it in and find that it only worked when in reverse as it was negative switched as well, though unlikely.

elnevio
20-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Pretty sure you'll be all right with the existing earth!

Anyway, why not just wire the existing fog light into the two tailgate brake lights - that's how mine is plumbed in! When not using the fog lights, the two tailgate lights remains as twin use tail light and brake lights.

Deviant
20-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Don't you need brighter bulbs in the fog light?

elnevio
20-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Brake light bulbs and fog lights bulbs are both 21W. I'm sure I posted up pictures of the different lighting configurations a while back - I'll keep hunting for the post. In the meantime, here is the article for dual-use of the inner tail gate lights: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?21874-Foglight-Stoplamp-dual-use

markysparky
20-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Pretty sure you'll be all right with the existing earth!

Anyway, why not just wire the existing fog light into the two tailgate brake lights - that's how mine is plumbed in! When not using the fog lights, the two tailgate lights remains as twin use tail light and brake lights.

That's the best way Nev. Did a few like that on import Pajero's.
I assume your fog feed is relayed or dioded otherwise your fog tell tale might illuminate every time you braked :)

Deviant
20-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Not a paid up member (yet) so don't have access to the link. Sorry i skimmed over the word brake in your post, makes sense now! :P It's just a case of taking of the trim for the back door i guess and tracing the two feeds back to where they split, then wiring the fog switch into the common feed. Job for tomorrow night :D

Nick Mann
20-01-2013, 05:54 PM
You'll find the feed in the corner of the boot near the AYC pump reservoir.