PDA

View Full Version : timing belt noise ...

Bal
20-01-2005, 01:48 PM
since i removed the subs from my car i have noticed that my timing belt makes a nice wining noise when it's been raining. i know this is a minor issue, and if i give it a bit of wd40 it stays quiet for a bit.

anyone else have this problem? how easy is the timing belt mechanism to take a part ... thinking i should get it greased up properly !!

B

wirdy
20-01-2005, 03:01 PM
since i removed the subs from my car i have noticed that my timing belt makes a nice wining noise when it's been raining. i know this is a minor issue, and if i give it a bit of wd40 it stays quiet for a bit.

anyone else have this problem? how easy is the timing belt mechanism to take a part ... thinking i should get it greased up properly !!

B

:stunned: :stunned: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Timing belts & WD40 don't mix!!!

If you need to quieten your belts, see if they still make a noise after a good long run to clear the pulleys of dampness and surface corrosion. If they're still noisy try some belt dressing spray (comma do it), it's silicon based AFAIK.

I would suspect it's not your cambelt anyway Bal, more likely to be your PS belt or accessory drivebelt. If it's one of these a quick rub with a household candle cured my noise.

Oil contamination is one of the biggest causes of premature cambelt failure.

Go careful!!!

Bal
20-01-2005, 07:29 PM
oh bugga, just noticed i posted this in this bit of the forum -- apologies for that.

it's not actually the timing belt it's the mechanism the spindle it's spinning on.

Big Ian
20-01-2005, 08:23 PM
just a thought? is the noise a bit chattery?
but is it coming from the very bottom pulley? if so watch it aint the crank shaft pulley on it's way out,if it is the pulley you'll need it replaced soon-as
or it may be your water pump.

aaron68nz
20-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Had all belts and tensioner changed last weeek and my proactive Mitsi mechanic took off the water pump or at least the wheel bit as it was starting to make a squeeky sound and was best to replcace now. He showed me the part he took off and how it was making the noise. My car has done 78,000km. Thinks are much smoother and quieter moving now under the bonnet.

Bal
22-01-2005, 08:16 PM
hmm maybe i should take it down the garage :(