PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Box Pinion

Wembe
23-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi
I have been getting a kinda grinding sound from the car and after checking the transfer case, i founf that there was no oil. I opened it and this is what i found

I did not remove the other side so i was wondering if the other gears bay be worn out also.
Is this part replaceable or should i just buy another gearbox.
I had just replaced the engine and now this.

Davezj
23-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Can't say I have ever looked inside the transfer case. I don't even knowwhere those parts have come from within the transfer case, can you explainable bit more about it.
Is that the gear on the pinion that connects to the prop shaft.

Kenneth
23-01-2013, 08:19 PM
The crown gear inside the transfer case (you should be able to see it now that you have the pinion out) will be stuffed too, so you need a new transfer case. Fortunately any Evo 4-6 transfer case will do.

The gearbox should be fine if it had oil in it because the transfer case is a sealed unit and runs its own oil on the inside (some gearbox oil does come through to lubricate the CV but that is all)

Wembe
24-01-2013, 06:24 AM
that is the whole transfer. that is the part that goes into the engine.
Which engines do the Evos 4-6 have? Is it 4g63? Coz that is what i will be asked when am looking for one. Had seen one for a vr4(gear box), not sure which year and was costing about USD 700. Is that fair? Is there a way of telling the year?
It is hard to get someone who will sell the transfer on its own.

Kenneth
24-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Your attachment doesn't work sorry, can you please try upload it again?

I am not sure what you are talking about, the transfer case does not attach to the engine, it attaches to the gearbox and the gearbox attaches to the engine. The 2 shafts (one inside the other) which come from the gearbox should be OK so long as the gearbox did have oil in it. If the gearbox didn't have oil in it, those shafts are probably still OK, the rest of the gearbox may not be though.

Yes, the Evos have 4G63 engines. More importantly is the chassis code, you want either CN9A or CP9A

Wembe
25-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Sorry let me try again.
I had a problem with my engine, so i had it changed. About 1 month later when i was driving up a long hill, i heard a loud grinding like noise. I checked and could not see anything. Later we discovered that the transfer case had no oil which i suspect it poured when the engine was being changed.
I opened the case at the point shown in the picture, i did not know i should open it further up. Actually the reason i opened it there is coz theres a guy who told me he has a transfer case and when we went to pick it, we thought that it should be removed from that point.
Anyway it was a good thing coz it turned out that his pinion was slightly smaller than mine. His is for a 6a13 SOHC non turbo engine( or so he says). the otter casing is exactly the same and i suspect if we had removed it at the right place, it would have fitted and than i would have a lower ratio coz of the smaller head.
I am trying to get a transfer case from the second hand shops and i was only able to come across i other engine with a gearbox (which i had seen when i was buying the other engine, but the one i got was newer and in any case i didn't know i would need a transfer then). the guys said they cant remove the transfer but can sell the gearbox as whole.
The evo transfer i was told can be looked for but it is more expensive coz its for a rally car. I may have to buy the gearbox for the 700$

Kenneth
26-01-2013, 09:18 PM
You will need to remove the entire transfer case, this means you have to remove the drive shafts and pull the lay-shaft on the gearbox side with a slide hammer.
The transfer case is then held on with 6 17mm bolts, 3 on top and 3 below.

The complete unit should be as below, you will need to replace the complete unit.

Some of the evo units have a front LSD, if so they should be worth more. The non LSD version is exactly the same part as the VR-4 so if they are more expensive, you should buy VR-4 ones and sell them as Evo ones for a profit :P

billybobboot
27-02-2015, 05:21 PM
I know this is old but semi related. Ive just got a evo 5 transfer with lsd the crown and pinion are shot (dispite being told were fine)
Mine are worse no teeth left!!!!!!
Question i know the evo lsd fits into my vr4 box but will the pinion and crown fit on the lsd so i can just use the lsd unit with the rest being vr4? Was just going to do 1 out 1 in but thats buggered that Idea my only choise is to use the lsd that still ok with the vr4 parts.

scott.mohekey
28-02-2015, 12:32 AM
They should do.

billybobboot
28-02-2015, 12:51 AM
Cool just wanted to half check as job 1 tomorrow is getting my wife to ring them for a part refund as think 425 for a pile of broken bits and an lsd unit that may or may not be ok its a bit high.
2nd job is for me to strip my vr4 transfer box down as its all ok and try and fit the lsd and find out if it fits and is ok.

Luckly there was no swarf in the lsd unit or inside its housing the swarf was just in the main casing most of the swarf is the pinion.

Well fingers xed it will all fit will post if it does as gives us an extra option.