PDA

View Full Version : VR4 Paintwork

Brunty
20-01-2005, 03:03 PM
While I didn't notice it when I bought the car back in November (too excited to check the car over properly I guess), I've recently spotted this flaw on the wings on the drivers side.

I'm pretty certain that the quality of Mitsubishi cars is pretty high - and thought that this might indicate that the wing has been resprayed, albeit poorly. This has since been confirmed by someone running a car valeting site.

He suggested that I be very careful when polishing the wing as too much elbow grease might 'lift' the paintwork exposing the metal underneath.

Can anyone offer any thoughts or advice?

Cheers
Steve

Spirit
20-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Personally I can only advise getting it resprayed properly......but first get a trusted body shop to check it over to see if they can do anything. Word of mouth/personal recommendations from friends/relatives/colleagues tends to be best in these circs.

Polabear
20-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Looks like laquer crazing to me, it can be sealed off then repainted but personally I would take it back to bear and start fresh, as Marcus (Rally205) for his opinion, body and paint is his livleyhood.... ;)

Also I have seen this with excessive coats of VERY thick hardwax polish on some custom finishes, if thats the case it just needs to be stripped off using a dewaxing agent, then re waxed.

Nick Mann
20-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Looks like laquer crazing to me, it can be sealed off then repainted but personally I would take it back to bear and start fresh, as Marcus (Rally205) for his opinion, body and paint is his livleyhood.... ;)

Just down the M6 from brum. A nice 30 minute blast!

RED
20-01-2005, 09:27 PM
It's a paint reaction called shrinkage. It happens when the paint being used is not compatible with the existing paintwork. The fresh paint does not adhere to the substrate and shrinks as it dries like the skin on a rice pudding. on you car it looks as though somebody has had a go at repairing a scratch or dent and used an aerosol can to paint it probably cellulose. The only way to rectify it is to sand it back to the original paintwork and then reprime and paint using two pack acrylic. Depending on where it is on the wing will depend on whether or not you would need to blend into the door.

As a rough guide you would be looking at around £250 for doing the wing and blending the door plus you would need a scraper moulding for the door as extra. Or if it was just the wing to paint you should look at £140.

Hope this helps