PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fault

Erni902
28-01-2013, 08:14 PM
This has been happening for the past 2 weeks or so. When she is cold, usually the first start of the day the power steering seems to be playing up.

When applying full lock to the right for the first time, there is no issue.

When applying full lock to the left for the first time, the steering wheel stops dead about halfway round (solid as though Im at full lock) I back off ever so slightly and apply pressure to the left again and she goes all the way round with no issue.

Everytime I turn the wheel after this its fine, its only when she is cold. The first time this happened was in the snow whilst travelling at 20mph on a main road turning into a turning, you can imagine the amount of 50p 20p action that was going on as the wheels didnt turn along with sliding on the ice.

Any ideas what this could be? I have checked PSF levels and all is fine.

Nick Mann
28-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Sounds like a physical issue? Something jamming in the rack or in a ball joint? In my experience, a failing pump just stops giving you power assistance, rather than stops the steering completely.

Erni902
28-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Cheers Nick, yeah it certainly feels more like a physical issue rather than pump failure. I will hopefully have some time to get the wheels off and have a look this week but busy packing up getting ready to move. Will report back with what I find :)

samuraiflash
05-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Are the power steering pump's off a V6 the same as a FL VR4?

Nick Mann
05-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Face lift v6 should be the same. Registered after 1999. Go for a 2000 model on to be safe.

Davezj
06-06-2013, 12:00 AM
i would bave thought the same as nick someting physical in the rack, mabe a cipped tooth on the pinion or on the rack.
you can remove the boot from the inside end of the rack rod on the drivers side and when on full left lock the rack will be push out as far as it can on the drivers side and you can see the teeth on the rack on the top side, you could try cleaning all the grease off these teeth and see what the damage is.
but this is not a quick job. it is a pain to see what is going on as space is tight.

samuraiflash
06-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Face lift v6 should be the same. Registered after 1999. Go for a 2000 model on to be safe.

Thanks for the info Nick, really appreciate that! And apologies to the OP for jacking your thread!

WOODY72
06-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Maybe the belt slipping?