PDA

View Full Version : plasti dip

col1n
29-01-2013, 05:03 PM
found this http://www.ukdip.co.uk/ place on facebook and thought it may be some help to the members :)

Davezj
29-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Good find Colin, plasti dip is so cheap in USA people spray there whole car in the stuff.
But to buy it from the USA cost a bucket load in postage I looked for it a while back and it worked out at about £18 a car after postage duty and vat.
Uk sell is excellent, even if it is still a bit expensive.

Colin Wiltshire
29-01-2013, 06:55 PM
never heard of this before. But on reading, it's sounds quite good.

col1n
29-01-2013, 07:26 PM
still dont know if anybody has used it yet but its got my mind going:thinking2

Davezj
29-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Just YouTube plasti dip car.

There is loads of stuff on there with plasti dip.

ANTHONY
29-01-2013, 09:43 PM
i wonder how good it would be on wheels

ANTHONY
29-01-2013, 09:52 PM
........................ oh yes it is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXpIuEBBHWo

Davezj
29-01-2013, 10:12 PM
I have some plasti dip to do a set of wheels, but if you ge the slightest rub on them the plasti dip will come off.
All you have to do is start rubbing at the edge of the plasti dip and it will pucker up and peel.
You just have to hope you don't curb it or some decides to give it a pick.

Kenneth
29-01-2013, 10:14 PM
I have 2 cans of mat black, going to do my wheels so that I don't have to bother with cleaning the brake dust off them so much :P

menno3x8g
30-01-2013, 10:36 AM
You should clean your wheels very good, else it's a terrible look. It won't stick that much.

MarkSanne
30-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I've recently used plastic-dip on a set of wheels that I bought. After seeing and hearing only good things I was spraying more that half a spraycan on 1 wheel without the desired effect. I was already at a 4th layer of the stuff! Than I finally read the instructions on the spray can. I bought 3 cans of Metalizer (Gold) which is just an effect layer to be used OVER regular plasti dip. I know... I should've read the instructions beforehand. But I was so dissapointed that I peeled the stuff off the multi-spoke wheel, sanded it and gave it a regular primer coat and I was ready to put regular (gold) paint on it but then all things went different as I had planned and now these wheels are in their primed state under the VR2... From everyone else that used (the regular) plasti-dip stuff there was nothing but good results!

Davezj
30-01-2013, 07:18 PM
they do say you will need a good 4 coats of the stuff to get the thickness built up. the first layer is a light dusting then lay the other 3 coats on, and possibley more.
if you don't build up the thickness of the pasti dip then when it is time to peel it off it will be a nightmere, it will come off in small little bit rether than big easy peel sheets.
if you are spraying it on wheels they have to be super clean and like new, and imperfections in the surface will show up, most of the video on youtube show the sparying of new unmarked wheels.

Davezj
30-01-2013, 07:28 PM
........................ oh yes it is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXpIuEBBHWo

by the way sparying plastidip like the bloke in the video is wrong way to do it, it should be built up in layers for maximum stiction. also don't use masking tape or any sort of tape to creat a break line in te spraying. you need to use a natural break line like the wheel tyre break line, you don't need to mask a tyre off, the over spray just peels off the tyre as the gap betwween the rim and tyre causes the natural break in the plasti dip.
if you use tape to make a line on a flat surface when you pull the tape off you are more than likely to pull the edge of the pasti dip up with it , as that is what it is designed to do peel off from an edge..