PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing noise from the front that increases with velocity

Niran
31-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Hi Guys,

I am driving a 1999 VR4 Manual type S. There is a rubbing/grinding noise coming from the front right. When i bought the car i had it checked, the dude said that the wheel bearing needed changing. Took it to the mechanics, and they said the wheel bearing was fine, and they changed both the front ball joints. The noise didn't change. Its kind of like a rotating sound, almost as if it happens every revolution of the wheel? So the faster you go, the more frequent the sound is. There is a also a rattle or a loose clunk kind of sound when i go over a speed bump, curb, driveway, some times even a bad gear shift will make that clunk noise. Im not sure if they are both related! My mechanic said it could be the axle that needs changing? Any help will be appreciated! :) Its driving me insane!

Niran
31-01-2013, 03:11 AM
Here are some of the images if it helps 5984859849

welshman010
31-01-2013, 03:19 AM
Sounds very similar to problem I had, mechanic even suspected wheel bearings at first, it was a seized calliper calliper in the end

pbaron
31-01-2013, 03:20 AM
Check the condition of the inner guard liner at the lower front, these tend to break the lower mounting points and get forced back by wind resistence to rub against the wheel once you get over 50 kmh or so.

This makes a noise like a really bad wheel bearing.

Niran
31-01-2013, 03:27 AM
Sounds very similar to problem I had, mechanic even suspected wheel bearings at first, it was a seized calliper calliper in the end
Oh wow, i should have mentioned the the car also shudders under braking, the steering wheel in particular. Could that be linked?

Niran
31-01-2013, 03:28 AM
Check the condition of the inner guard liner at the lower front, these tend to break the lower mounting points and get forced back by wind resistence to rub against the wheel once you get over 50 kmh or so.

This makes a noise like a really bad wheel bearing.

Hmm, if it was the guard, the noise would be more constant right? Its more like a revolving grinding rub aye. I'll inspect the guards tonight :)

welshman010
31-01-2013, 03:36 AM
Oh wow, i should have mentioned the the car also shudders under braking, the steering wheel in particular. Could that be linked?

Yeah car definitely did shudder under braking but not the steering wheel.

Niran
31-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Yeah car definitely did shudder under braking but not the steering wheel.

And the shuddering/rubbing noise stopped after you fixed the caliper? Did you replace it?

welshman010
31-01-2013, 03:41 AM
Yeah I replaced it and got nice smooth ride again, only tonight I picked it up from garage.

Nick Mann
31-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Sounds like the brakes are the issue to me from your description. Change the discs (and the pads if needed) and get them to thoroughly check the calipers.

Niran
10-03-2013, 08:28 PM
So had the car at the mechanics all of last week. He said the noise is mostly likely cos of the CV joint. So will have the replace this week. Hopefully he is right!!